Chapter 10

Okay guys. I totally loved your reactions to the last two parts. Sorry about the sudden plot twist, but this couldn't be all rainbows and butterflies, now could it??? But have faith in me. And my process. Annddd I really hope you guys enjoy this chapter!!!

~*~*~

~Louis~

I listened to the train rumble. It helped to drown out my thoughts.

Louis, you goddamned idiot.

Louis, you did the right thing.

Louis, why the hell would you do something so stupid?

Louis, don't worry. It'll turn out right.

No it won't.

It won't.

It won't.

I closed my eyes and tilted my head, rather uncomfortably, against the back of the train seat. I fished my earbuds out of my bag and connected them to my phone. Carelessly, I stuck them into my ears and let OneRepublic take over my mind.

~*~*~

~Zayn~

Liam's eyes began to shine with tears as he read the carefully folded letter. His face morphed into any different expressions. Confusion. Shock. Anger. Disappointment. Denial. Fury. Sadness. I guessed he ended on sadness, because his hands uncurled from the sides of the letter. It floated down to the ground, light as a feather, but heavy with the words it said. I snatched it up from its resting place. I snaked one arm around his waist as I read. I clutched it for support. Louis is... gone? I shoved the letter in Niall's direction. Liam wiggled out from under my grasp and crouched to console Harry. Oh my God. Harry. Poor Harry. I stiffened and my mouth formed a hard line. Liam and I helped him, shakily, get on his feet. We led him to the couch and sat on either side of us. He lay his head on Liam's shoulder and I wrapped my arm around Harry's shoulders. Niall took a seat in front of the three of us and leaned his head against on Harry's knees. We all sat there, silently, save for the small whisper of Harry's sobs. It was painful.

~*~*~

~Niall~

My head was reclined on Harry's knees. I shut my eyes. I wasn't a religious person at all, but I was praying. I just wanted Louis to come back. For everyone, but mainly for Harry. His sobs became background noise to my own hopes. The only thing I really wanted was for all of this drama to stop. I wanted us to just be us again. Not even us as a band, but us as brothers. Even though the majority were a little more than "brothers", it was all the same. Once Harry and Louis fell apart, everything began to spiral out of control, not only for them, but for everyone. And that sucked. The thing is, I didn't regret them finding each other. I knew that they still loved each other. Things just weren't right. I just hoped that they'd get back to normal. And soon. Very soon.

~*~*~

~Louis~

The Next Day

The sunlight shone brightly into the train car I was in. I knew I should have taken the subway, I thought. I blinked hard and my eyes watered. Such a lovely way to wake up. I decided that if I ever had to run away again, I was flying. I also decided that I had to go see a chiropractor after sleeping on a train car. I didn't bring enough money to go on one of those nice trains with the bed and dining cars. I stretched and slumped back against the dingy seat. The buzzer for the announcements sounded. "Good morning passengers!" The voice was way too cheery for that early in the morning. "It is now 9:45 and we will be reaching our stop around 10:15. Have a nice rest of your trip!" I rubbed my eyes with my palms and fished a granola bar out of my bag. Where does the train stop? I stood up and walked down to the schedule on the wall. I read the town name and I checked a map on my phone for the distance. I was about 8 hours out from the rest of the boys. From there, I decided I would make my way to the nearest airport and fly to... somewhere. France? Italy? Greece? Maybe even America. Anywhere to run away. I slumped back down in my seat and began to scroll through my photo gallery. I looked at the only picture I had of me and Harry, since management gave me a new phone after The Accident. We were smiling like kids at Christmas and I could feel the joy radiating from the image. I smiled a rather sad and smile and locked my phone once more. I listened to the peaceful sound of silence and thought about as little as possible.

~*~*~

~Harry~

My eyes fluttered open, but light caused me to squint. I slowly felt around the bed for my phone to check the time. 2:37 p.m. I turned my body around to face the other side of the bed. No one was there, as usual. I sighed deeply and stumbled out of the warm embrace of my blankets. My back cracked as I moved my tired joints around. I thought about how much I felt like an old man. I sighed again and shuffled my feet toward the bathroom. I stared at my face, streaks where tears had carved their way down my cheeks. I examined the dull, pale green my eyes had become, filled with the pain of loss. My hair was a mess, styling it deemed pointless. I just looked... tired. And it reflected how I felt. A sudden wave of anger washed over me.

Anger at the boys.

Anger at Louis.

Anger at management.

Anger at the world.

But most of all, anger at myself.

I began to sob, never breaking eye contact with my own reflection. I stayed like that for a little while, then tore my gaze away. I had an idea. I threw open every single drawer and cabinet. I fumbled through the messes and finally found what I was looking for. My hand shook as I pulled it out. I started at the small object I was holding. The sharp blade glinted under the light. I took a deep breath and held it against my skin.

~*~*~

So...