Stage 5: Invasion - Chapter 10: Panic Rising.

Stage 5: Invasion  - Chapter 10: Panic Rising.

            Parker stepped outside knowing full well that it was too early for sunset and looked up at the sky. A large ship was blocking the sun. He tilted his head and walked back into the house he quickly went and grabbed a gun from his kitchen cabinet and stuffed it in the back of his pants. Hurrying back to his cell phone he noticed there was no reception.

 Parker turned on the television and the image of a female news reporter was going in an out. Looking outside his window he noticed people rushing around. Moving throughout the house with the chaos on his block only increasing he started locking the doors and filling his tubs with water. He knew all the defense strategies from boy scouts if there was an emergency and this was one. His mother has left last night for Cleveland and he hoped she was okay.

            His home phone rang and he picked it up. It was one of those old phones with the wire still attached and he listened intently.

            “Hey Parker.” Carol’s voice boomed out. “You there?”

            “Yeah it’s me. Did you see the- “ Parker started but couldn’t finish before Carol cut him off.

            “I know, do you have an Ethernet?” Carol continued quickly.

            “A wha-“ Parker had no idea what that was.

            “An Ethernet, you know the cord that connect your computer to the internet. Only things connected with wires are working all wireless connections have died. My parents are packing the car, we’re leaving for Denver – they heard it is safe there.”  Carol took a deep breath

            Parker started but stopped. “Yeah, I mean if it is safer go.”

            Carol remained quiet on the other end then took a deep breath. “Parker, we can keep in touch. It’s just like the we did in the 1990’s with dialup.” Carol laughed and then Parker heard her parents screaming in the background.

            “Carol I…” Parker got out before Carol continued speaking.

            “I don’t know how long it’s going to be before the alien’s make their move. Especially if they are already here.” Carol’s parents started shouting louder.

            “But Carol I…” Parker tried to interject.

            “I got to go Parker.” Carol quickly hung up the phone leaving nothing but a dial tone for Parker to talk to.

            “I love you.” Parker said to the dial tone. He put the phone down then ran into his room. He started rummaging through the closet and couldn’t find anything. He continued to his mother’s room and found a Ethernet. He connected it to his desktop and waited for what felt like forever to get to a news site. The government had no idea but the United Nations was formulating a plan. Blogs were going wild and Parker couldn’t believe it was happening.

            He stood up from his computer and moved to the bedroom window to look out at the ship blocking the sun. It was massive, the size of a small island. He wondered if one of those alien things was looking from the ship at him. Parker shook his head and stepped from the window. He should shut all the blinds.

***

            Trevor pulled on his shirt and looked at Harry as his built chest rose and fell with each breath.  Everything felt like a dream to him too perfect, too serial. He heard a pop and it took a second for him to realize that it was a gunshot. His heart skipped a beat and he turned to Harry. Trevor then realized, it was much too early for sunset. He hurried to the front door. More gunshots sounded from the street and Trevor’s curiosity wanted to investigate. Harry caught him before he could leave. “Where are you going?” Harry asked only in his pants.