Stage 3: Life - Chapter 7: Interaction

            Trevor sat on a bed, his room here was nicer than the one at home and he had a much needed shower followed by a warm dinner. Although his appetite was satisfied his questions were not. Trevor wanted to know where Kojak was. He remembered climbing in the box but then everything got fuzzy. Agent Goodman wouldn’t even respond to his questions and by now Trevor was frustrated. He looked out the window at the base where soldiers practiced their early morning drills. The sun was breaking the horizon and light flooded the valley.

            “Good morning,” Agent Goodman entered the room. “Sleep well.” Trevor shook his head no. “Well, we have pills for that if you need them. Now I am not here to ask any more questions but I can give you some answers.”

            “Okay, where is Kojak?” Trevor shot out as quickly as Agent Goodman finished.

            “Dead.” He replied nonchalantly.

            Trevor’s face broke he shook his head in disbelief. “No, I mean, how…how did I survive but he didn’t?”

            “You were in a crash. A metal object we believed to be an escape pod crashed into a field in Montana. You were the only human to survive the crash.” Agent Goodman responded with a nod.

            “You said that the alien survived. Can I speak with him, her…it?” Trevor asked. “I would love to thank it for getting me off that ship.”

            “I’m sorry but that’s classified.” Agent Goodman answered. He looked at Trevor’s face and noticed the tears well up in the young boys eyes. Agent Goodman reached out a arm and put it on Trevor’s shoulder. The firm, strong, grip felt good for Trevor.

            “I just, I don’t…” Trevor gulped and looked out the window. “How are my parents?”

            “That’s classified.” Goodman replied

            “What? I, what can you fucking tell me then!” Trevor shouted moving away from Goodman’s arm.

            “Jim,” Agent Goodman nodded. “My name is Jim, call me Jim.”
            Trevor stared at the man and let out a deep sigh then nodded. “Okay, Mike.”

***

            Wrapped in rope and slumped against the garage wall the dead alien was crusted in dry black sticky goop. Carol, Parker, and Harry all eyed in. Harry entered the garage shirtless his muscled body flexing with every breath and his hair still wet from a shower. Parker had some bandages over a cut near his eyebrow and held a bag of frozen peas on his head. Carol eyed the thing, which eyes had gone from black to a grey and were beginning to turn white and hard. It still had chunks of Lexi’s face on it.

            “I was thinking.” Lexi said sitting on a kitchen chair they brought out.

            “We’re not telling my mom.” Parker blurted out.

          Carol shot Parker a stern look.  “We don’t know,” Carol turned to Harry and Parker. “We don’t know how many people they already have. I mean, what if all the neighbors of Trevor’s street were already turned into aliens.”

            “Okay this isn’t some sci-fi movie. I mean, you think they have policemen? Firemen? FBI? How many people do you think they have?” Parker answered.

            “Well, I don’t know. You guys can’t honestly believe you were the first people to experience an encounter like that.” Carol paused and stands up looking from Harry to Parker. “How do I know you’re not one of them.”

            Harry suddenly felt the very real fear Carol was talking about. “Well, we know they bleed that black blood so.” Harry looks around and notices a stray toolbox. He walked over and pulled out a nail.

            “Okay, I’m not trying to make us get tetanus shots.” Carol looked to at Parker. “Do you have a needle?” Parker ran inside the house and returned with a sewing needle.  He pulled out his lighter and sterilized it then held it out.

            Carol held out her hand first and Parker poked it. She flinched and a red bead of blood appeared. Harry flexed his biceps and nodded as Parker poked him. A red bead of blood started to form.

            Harry and Carol turned to Parker. “Your turn bud.” Harry mentioned and Parker hesitated but then handed him the needle. Parker held out his finger. “Ready.” Harry poked it and Parker pulled back with an ouch and held his finger close to his chest.

            “Let us see it.” Carol mentioned.

***

            Agent Jim Goodman walked into the laboratory in Area 51. A female scientist with long red hair and pale white skin, with a nametag reading Angela Monroe, sat at a computer.

            “We’ve finally been able to translate what it is saying. Unfortunately, its life signs aren’t that strong.” Angela looked up at Jim and smiles.

            “You decided to wear the red lipstick today.” He smiled and puts a hand on the small of her back. Angela smells his cologne

            “Keep your mind on your work Agent Goodman.” Angela stood up breaking the contact and shooting Jim an annoyed stare. She headed over to another computer and presses a button. Jim listens to some alien garble and shakes his head. “Now listen.”

            “Takeover, our race ended. Need Humans. Already started. No time. No time.” The computer returned to garbled letters and Angela turns to Jim and then stands up. “Looks like all of you agents are finally getting a reason to justify your jobs.” Angela smiles and walks away from the computer to her purse.  “I have a date tonight. That’s why I am wearing the lipstick.” She smiles then leaves the lab.

            Jim walks over to the tank and look at the squid-like creature with glowing yellow eyes, which were dimmer than when he first picked the squid up from the crash site now dubbed Fall Bird. His eyes drifted over to another tank this one empty. “Wait what happened to…” was all Jim got out before a chair hit him in the back of his head and he fell unconscious.