Chapter 25

After finding my room…occupied, I hang out in one of the common areas of my dorm building, talking on the phone to Charlie about Atlanta. I nearly fall asleep.

“Baby,” he says, after noticing my long pauses and yawns, “It’s been thirty minutes. Why don’t you go back and see if she’s… done.”

“Hmm? Okay,” I say, pushing myself off of the uncomfortable, study room chair and walking back towards my room.

“It’s gone. Thank goodness.”

Charlie laughs, “Go to sleep then. I’ll talk to you tomorrow. I love you.”

“I love you. Thank you for staying on the phone with me.”

“Of course, baby.”

He tells me he loves me one more time and we end the call. I open my door carefully and enter the dark room. Andy is already asleep. I use my phone as a light and take off my dress. Then, I grab an oversized t-shirt and crawl in to bed.

I can finally sleep.

Unfortunately, my peaceful slumber doesn’t last as long as I’d like. I wake up to my alarm with a massive headache, and I have to get ready for work. I crawl out of bed, squinting at the sunlight shinning through my curtains.

“Hey,” I hear Andy’s voice and look towards her bed.

She is lying with her head turned towards me, smiling apologetically, “Did you make it home okay? I’m really sorry. I had too much to drink and got distracted.”

I laugh a little, but it hurts and I grab my head as I walk to my closet, “It’s okay. I liked your sign on the door. Thanks for the warning. I would have gotten to know you really fast, had I walked in.”

Andy laughs, “You are way cooler than my last roommate. You really aren’t mad? And I’m glad you liked my sign – if you ever want to join the fun though, just ignore it and come on in.”

“I’m not mad at all. Thanks for letting me tag along in the first place. And okay, maybe next time,” I say sarcastically, not doubting that she would be welcoming if I ever did take her up on her offer. I wouldn’t.

I get ready for work, wearing a simple, off white sweater and jeans. I pull my auburn curls up into a ponytail and apply a generous amount of makeup in an attempt to mask my sleepy eyes.

Before I leave, I put on my necklace from Charlie. I missed wearing it last night.

As I whisper goodbye to Andy (she seems to have fallen back asleep), and leave quietly through door, my phone buzzes in my hand. It’s a text.

Good morning, baby. I’m on my way home now. I didn’t want to wake you, so I waited until I knew you’d be leaving for work. I can’t wait to see you. I love you.

At Lighthouse, Allie is still in a particularly good mood about her engagement. I am able to more wholeheartedly appreciate her enthusiasm, now that I know things are back to normal with Charlie.

Mr. Miller is out for the day – helping his wife shop for their baby grandchild’s first birthday. The café isn’t very busy now. Apparently Allie was swamped before my shift started, but she managed fine. She’s been working at the café much longer than I have, so handling things on her own isn’t a big deal for her.

“Jimmy?” She suddenly calls towards the kitchen, “Now that Stella’s here and we aren’t busy, will you teach me how to make that soup?”

I agree to watch the front while Allie disappears into the kitchen with Jimmy. In the time that I’m alone, I become anxious about where he is, and when he’ll be home. I decide to go ahead and ask him how long he’ll be, and to make sure that he hasn’t run into trouble on the road. Just as I’m sending the text, the bell rings on the front door.