Chapter 8

I expect to wake up to an alarm, as usual. Instead, I feel soft hands on my arms and I hear a quiet voice with a morning rasp saying my name...

I open my eyes to find dark blue ones staring back at me from behind brown curls. Perhaps even more pleasant, is the smell of food.

"Good morning, baby," Charlie smiles down at me.

He just called me baby.

"Good morning," I say, still sleepy.

"I woke up to my alarm, but you were fast asleep, so I made you breakfast. We will still have plenty of time to get you back to your room before work."

I sit up slowly in bed and I'm brought to face the plates of food stacked high with a breakfast assortment.

Charlie must realize that I am surprised at the abundance of food in front of me, so he begins to explain himself. "I wasn't sure what you liked, so I just made a bit of everything. I have-"

"Charlie, stop that," I swat at his arm, laughing. He had begun to shuffle the pillows behind me, so that I may be propped up while I consume this massive breakfast, I suppose. "You don't need to wait on me. You're so sweet, and I appreciate it. But you have to let me figure out ways to give back a little, or I'll feel guilty."

He smiles, though it is somewhat defeated, and settles in, using his elbow to sit up. "Fine," he says, "Hand me some eggs and sausages, please."

I comply, and bring the rest of the plates towards us on the bed, so that everything is within reach. "But you're still not allowed to fluff my pillows," I grin, taking my first bite of toast.

I do feel fairly inadequate - I keep my room very clean organized, and I take care of myself, but Charlie keeps an entire house, and takes care of Cooper; I make myself tea and toast, while Charlie makes amazing pasta dishes and multiple-course breakfasts.

After a few moments of silent eating, I think to ask, "Did you notice that I am in one piece? You did actually sleep in here, didn't you?"

He laughs. "Yes. I slept quite peacefully, actually."

"I did, too. Thank you for having me over, I love your house. I miss being in an actual home."

He smiles again and looks down at his plate, in a bashful way.

"What?" I ask.

"I guess it's just nice to hear someone else call it a home. I think of it as my home, but it's nice to hear that someone else sees it that way, particularly you."

When I'm too full for more, I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss his cheek. It feels natural, despite us having hardly even touched prior to yesterday.

"Thank you for breakfast," I say.

He stacks the plates and sets them on his bedside table before wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me close.

"You could shower here, you know," he whispers near my ear, kissing the skin just in front, and moving his lips down my jaw line.

Finally, I think. He is acting more...uninhibited. Maybe now that he knows I want him too, he won't feel the need to be so careful.

I do love that he is careful, of course. He realizes his effect on me and he sees it as a responsibility, not to be taken lightly. But, I want him to be comfortable knowing that I won't pull away from something slight - he can be himself and act very honestly.

"Okay," I say, "But you have to let me clean up breakfast first."

"You can help," He corrects me with a smirk, pushing himself off the bed with ease.