Chapter 15

I wake up in a haze. First, I notice Charlie shifting around like the night before, but he hasn’t moved enough to touch me. Next, I am happy when I notice the glare of the morning sun in my eyes, because it means that we’ve made it through the night. Finally, I realize that I really need to pee. I stretch my arms over my head and take a deep, satisfied breath before climbing out of bed and making my way into the bathroom.

I glance in the mirror as I pass by and am pleasantly surprised by how my hair has managed to dry. Usually, when I fall asleep on wet hair, I wake up with a fluffy mane. But today, my long, auburn curls fall in a surprisingly agreeable manner.

After I wash my hands and brush my teeth, I grab my bottle of lotion, which I’ve left on Charlie’s counter, and apply some to my hands and arms. I feel like, if I am going to be leaving my things here, I need to ask Charlie if I may use a drawer. His house is so organized and neat, I would hate for my things to be the only source of clutter.

I open the bathroom door to find Charlie sitting up in bed. His hair looks more unintentionally messy than usual, but I find it cute.

“Good morning,” I say happily, walking back to the bed and climbing under the covers.

“Good morning,” He says, his voice soft. I lie close to him, but further down on the pillows. My head is level with his sides. He adjusts, scooting down so that he is next to me, and our faces are only inches apart.

“I didn’t… it wasn’t me who woke you up, was it?” He asks, his dark blue eyes burning into mine.

“No,” I say quietly, “I woke up on my own. I slept very well.”

“Good,” He says in his quiet, raspy-yet-smooth, morning voice.

He brings his hand to the side of my face that isn’t pressed against a pillow, and pushes my hair back with his soft fingers. Then, he lays his warm palm over my bruise, which is nearly nonexistent today.

He leans in and kisses my forehead, then the tip of my nose, and then my cheek, where his hand was, but it has now moved to my side, gripping at my waist. His lips move slowly from place to place. They travel to my neck, and his hand slips down the curve of my hip and starts to play at the ruffled hem of my short nightdress.

I move my head, begging him to kiss more of my neck. When I do, I feel him smile against my skin. The softness of his pouty lips mixed with how gentle his hand feels against my leg is too much, and a soft whine escapes my lips. Charlie chuckles, now propped up on his free arm, leaning into my neck. I bring my hands to either of his shoulders, as he moves to hover over me, smiling down and slipping his hands further up my dress.

“I’m glad I can actually help you with breakfast this morning,” I mention cheerfully. I’m perched on the counter, eating a banana, and Charlie is retrieving a pan from the cabinet.

“I like cooking for you, though. You don’t ever need to feel like you have to help.”

He goes to the fridge, opening it and pulling out a carton of eggs. He is wearing his workout clothes: black shorts, a large gray t-shirt, and black tennis shoes. His messy hair is now pushed back in one of his thin headbands. 

“I suppose we should make something quick since we… took our time getting ready this morning,” He smirks at me, “Are eggs and toast good with you?”

“Yes, that sounds perfect. I make really good scrambled eggs, actually. Want me to make them?” I hop down from the counter and walk over to him. He hands me the eggs and tells me to help myself to whatever else I need. I go to the fridge and he, to get bread for toast.