Chapter 19

Charlie kisses me goodbye in the morning, quietly laughing at how difficult it is for me to respond in my sleepy state. I only wake up for the second that his lips touch my cheek and he says, “I love you,” and tells me to text him when I wake. Then, I drift back into a deep sleep.

When I finally wake, it is nine thirty, and I’m honestly still tired. I hadn’t realized how late it had gotten while we were out last night, and I feel bad that Charlie had to wake up so early. When we made it back to our room, it was already two-thirty in the morning – and of course, we didn’t go to sleep right away.

I have a pounding headache.

I start to crawl out of bed, thinking that a shower might help, and I see that Charlie has left a glass of water and aspirin on the nightstand.

I take the aspirin immediately and decide to text Charlie before I do anything else – if he was sweet enough to leave hangover relief, I should probably text him to see if he’s hungry.

He responds instantly and says that I don’t have to bring food, but he wants to see me.

I don’t respond, I just go straight to the bathroom and take a quick shower. I rush as much as I can to get ready after that, since I don’t want to keep him waiting.

The day is even chillier than the previous. I decide on a soft, vintage, floral slip dress and pair it with an oversized, black cardigan sweater. I wear boots, too, with heavier socks scrunched down, but still visible. My hair falls in its loose curls to my waist, but I pin the front back on the heavier side of my part in an attempt to combat the fall breeze. 

I decide to continue mine and Charlie’s streak from the day before, and try someplace new, even though I’ll still be asking for his usual oatmeal order. I go looking for a new café down a quiet street between the hotel and gym.

Like a bad joke, the door to a storefront opens ahead of me on the sidewalk, and Brock steps out with an unlit cigarette between his teeth.

I groan mentally and actually laugh a bit at the irony, biting my lip as I continue walking towards him. He spots me almost right away, and I think he is surprised by the humor on my face.

“Well hey there, princess!” He pulls the cigarette from his mouth and smirks at me.

I stop when I am close enough to speak to him, and realize that I’m standing in front of a tattoo parlor.

“So, this is where you work?” I ask.

“Yeah. I knew you’d come looking for me.”

At first, I can’t believe that he’s still on the same kick. But when I look back at him, I can tell that he’s actually joking, and I just roll my eyes and smile.

I don’t know why I’m not as annoyed by him today.

“I really am sorry about last night,” he says, lighting his cigarette, “And you should know that I never apologize.”

“I believe that,” I say, “Why are you owning up this time, then?” I am curious, honestly. He was rude, so I’m not sure why I am even interested in his reasoning. He is probably still playing some sort of sick little game.

He laughs before he answers, but I get the feeling that he is thinking too, considering his words.

“Charlie never used to care if I tried to mess with the girls that he was fucking – that sounds blunt, but it’s the truth. It was entertaining for me to finally see him get so worked up over a girl. And you’re so much more beautiful than the rest, so that made it even more fun, too. I’m sorry that I was an ass. I’ll apologize, because I see it – how good you two are together. I think anyone could. You are just different. I can tell that you’re perfect for him.”