Chapter 7 - Nostalgia

I can’t believe what Ben and I are trying to do… setting Victor up on a date with his assistant? This is crazy, but if anyone deserves another chance at love it’s him. From the way Ben is speaking about their relationship… Victor better go for it.

Ben texts, You should see the way they smile at each other. It's so lovey-dovey it almost makes me want to puke.

I reply,  Oh, but it's okay when WE act all cheesy, hm? lol

Yes, yes it is. People expect that from us... not to mention we're both under the age of thirty. So that helps.

Ben! I accidently snort in laughter to myself. Sami looks over at me like I'm crazy. Just see what you can do and I'll see what I can do okay? If anyone deserves a second chance it's your dad.

Right, he answers, Mission: Get-My-Father-A-Date has commenced. This should be interesting lmao.

I could talk to Paul, my advisor and see if we can get them some alone time once we’re back in the palace. Ben sounds so excited, even through text. I bet he just wants to see Victor happy as much as I do.

“Phones away!” Mrs. Albion, the only teacher in East Creek High with a voice louder than all her students combined, stands inn the front of the class tapping her foot impatiently. In a matter of seconds I have to throw my phone into my bag just like everyone else. The guys stuff theirs in pockets, folders, anything really. Once her class starts you hide your phone or you won’t see it until your parent or guardian comes to pick it up from the principal’s office.

Ash, Mel, Sami and I all exchange glances. It’s the last period of the day, which means it’s going to drag on murderously. I bet we all are thinking the same thing: just get through this and then we can meet up with Avery and head over to the auditorium, make it through rehearsal and then go to the mall. We can do this.

“Alright, since it’s nearing the end of the school year, I thought I would be nice—today we’re simply going to be looking at some speeches that I deem to be historic, passionate, or otherwise very well spoken… and some that aren’t as well presented. We’ll be looking at everyone from King George to President Obama.”

Her eyes skip to me, sitting in one of the middle rows. She doesn’t seem at all phased from the episode a couple weeks ago when I was rushed out of class.

Then, she glances at a few more people before walking over to her computer. She turns on the projector screen and starts clicking away.

In the middle of Martin Luther King’s speech I get a kick to the butt from Mel, who is sitting right behind me. 

When I turn to look back at her she rolls her eyes and passes me a note. Just as I’m about to open it though, Mrs. Albion says something that catches my attention. She’s stopped the video and is talking about the next video.

“Our princess should recognize this one,” she says jokingly. When she clicks on the video titled King Stefan of Chirnova Peace Speech I have no idea what she’s talking about. 

“King Stefan was quite possibly the best royal orator of the 90s. He graduated university after military school with a degree in foreign relations and communications. This speech in particular is one I find very compelling—it is the speech that brought peace to two entire countries. After he was done, as you’ll see, King Maxim of Vladesvya did not even bother making a comment…”

As it starts playing I feel eyes on me; people turning their heads slightly to see my reaction. Although the video is blurry, like most videos of the 90’s on Youtube, I can still see everything. I can see my father—my real father. He’s right there on the screen.