Chapter 6 - Home

The room feels so much colder with Anna gone. Texting her isn’t enough, calling her is alright, but even skype messaging won’t settle the anxiousness I feel. Ever since I heard her say those three words it’s like our bond got one thousand times stronger.

Who knew that such a terrible occurrence could bring us closer together?

“Ready?” Dad asks from his seat beside me.

In a few minutes we’ll be shooting a video that will be broadcasted on every news outlet known to man—and posted on Youtube. Our advisors think it’s a good idea to show everyone that I’m okay. That’s a good idea and all but I just wish Anna was on the other side of me. Now that would be the full picture. But, she already on did her own video and had it posted on her Youtube account. It’s already got over a million hits. Maybe mine will be just as famous.

I shrug, “Ready as ever. This princely stuff is just automatic now.”

He chuckles, fixing his blazer. “I figured… I am very proud of you, you know that?”

The statement catches me off guard. “Proud of what? That I didn’t die?”

Sighing deeply, he replies, “No. I am proud of how strong you’ve been and how put together you’ve acted… I just feel that I don’t tell you that often enough.”

There it is. The guilt complex that the people I love have been riding on ever since the shooting. Anna wouldn’t stop apologizing for not telling me how she felt sooner. Dad still won’t stop telling me that he doesn’t say he loves me enough. My family hasn’t stopped telling me they regret not visiting more often.

I hate guilt. I hate it when I feel guilty; I hate it when people around me feel guilty. It’s not a good feeling and I don’t want them to go on thinking like this.

“Dad, trust me you do.” I insist, shifting uncomfortably. If an infection doesn’t kill me than this hospital bed surely will.

Then, he adds, “By the way the RCR has given you a month’s leave from your station.”

“Well, it’s about time. Did they expect me to show up at the base with a bandaged shoulder ready to go?” I wince as a shot of pain zaps me in the chest. I forgot to tell the nurse it’s hurting again.

But if Anna was here I wouldn’t even need the pain meds. When she’s in the room I can focus on her, and forget the pain in my chest, the soreness in my muscles and the nightmares that plague me at night.

I always thought she would need me. But, right now I think I need her more.

“And in three, two…” The woman behind the camera gives us the signal. I see the red recording light go on.

Dad starts off by saying that we’re very appreciative of all the love, support and prayers of the people of both countries—and the rest of the world of course. I take over half-way through to say that, again, I appreciate everyone’s support. I do the usual briefing of how I’m doing and how I feel. The special part I put in about thanking the men that saved my life and others that day pops up onto the teleprompter. Like always, I read it off with ease.

@HRHPrinceBen: Once again, thank you everyone for your prayers and thoughts. My heart goes out to all other victims and their families.

Once everything is said and done dad says, “Good enough. You need to get your rest. Physical therapy starts tomorrow… oh, and your Aunt and cousins are stopping by in a little.”

It’s great that I have family members that care so much. It’s not great that they have chosen to come visit at the same time Anna usually calls or facetimes me.