Alone

Kanan Jarrus had never been close to anyone. Mentally, physically, and relationship wise. He wasn't one easily impressed, but he wasn't usually easily impressive himself.

     One of those people few people that impressed him was Hera. She was strong, fast, emotionless at times, and of course, beautiful, but there was something else. She would risk it all, jeopardize her, their, whole mission to save someone they never met. He didn't understand it, but admired it's persistence.

    He wasn't one to stick his neck out to random people. He'd never been. After Order 66, he learned the law, kill or be killed, which on other planets it was different, Gorse had been home to some of the most dangerous street thugs he'd ever encountered.

     Hera was, ironically, a total opposite to all this. She'd happily fall into a trap to rescue some Rodian she'd never even seen, then fight her way out and shrug it off like it was nothing. Emotionless, that was a good way to describe Hera at times. She always seemed to be that way to him.

     Which was why he was seriously stunned when after a hard mission at Ryloth, her homeland he figured, and watching thousands of her people die, she had excepted a gentle hug, turning her head into his chest and....crying?

     He had wanted to ask, but didn't. For all he knew, she they could have been her family or friends. She would mourn for anyone who got killed by the Empire, but this was different. It was her home, her people, possibly her family.

    It had been heart wrenching to watch, and he had wanted to tell her. Instead all he had said was, "I'm sorry." She had been quiet on the way back to the Ghost, like she usually was after a failed mission. But he had sensed something else. Her force signature, it radiated intense pain, and instead of talking it out, like they usually did, she had isolated herself in her room. That was when he's realized something was really wrong.

    They had stood there like that for what felt like forever. Kanan had enjoyed the closeness, but he was more concerned about Hera then anything. After a moment he said softly, "I know what it's like."

     Hera had looked up, emerald eyes still glistening with tears. "What?" She had asked softly. Kanan had never planned to tell her this, and didn't want to get into the details. He didn't want to talk about the past, his past. That was over. But looking into her eyes, he knew he would tell her anything to comfort her.

    He had taken a deep breath. "To loose everything." Hera had looked at him intently, though she had whispered, "You don't need to tell me." That had been a lie, they both knew it, but Hera would never force him to tell her anything, which was another thing he loved about her. What he loved about her. Is that what he felt, how he felt about her?

    He had pushed those thoughts away. She had been in pain, the kind that left scars as bad as any physical damage, and he alone could help her. Chopper had been no help of course, he had sent the grumpy rust-bucket away before he talked to her, knowing Chopper would have barged in beeping in bianary incessantly. Why Hera even kept the old C1-OP Kanan didn't know.

    "At our last battle, my Master and I fought along the clones." Hera had nodded slightly, realizing what significance this held before he even said it. "It...." Kanan had stopped, remembering, his Master's last words, all that emotion in one last breath, his Master's last breath. Billaba might as well have been a mother to him and now....Run.... Hera had gently touched his arm, encouraging him.

    "The clones betrayed us. They killed her, and I-I-she saved me." Kanan had tried not to wince. It wasn't a lie, but it hadn't been a full truth either. Hera had looked up, green eyes filled with emotion. Kanan had taken a long shaky breath, had closed is eyes, had tried to separate the past from the present.

    Hera had spared him the trouble, he knew, wrapping her arms around him and laying her head on his chest. It worked as both a distraction and a comfort, and he had especially been thankful for her at that moment. "I know what it's like to be alone in the galaxy." He had murmured quietly to her. "And-and I want you to know, that your not alone, and won't ever be." She had looked up, green eyes grieving, and a gentle smile had traced her lips.

    He pulled away slightly to look into her eyes. "I know." She had said softly, almost to softly to hear. "And you won't be ever be alone again either, I promise." That simple phrase had filled him with a galaxy of hope. He might never become a true Jedi knight, or conquer the Empire, or complete his mission right. But Hera was there, she would always be. And that was enough for him.

    Well, I figured while we're waiting for you guys to request one stories, mine as well but down this mini-story I thought of, hope you enjoy it! If you have an idea or contrastive criticism, feel free to say in the comments below! :)

Thanks for reading,

SKYE