VI. After Tonight

(A/N- so the song in this chapter is so amazing and you should check it out!!  It's from about six years ago...but I still love it to this day!   Anyway...I hope you all enjoy.!!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All evening I felt like I was going to be sick.  The butterflies have transformed into something more like the size of hummingbirds.  Liam and Louis have been trying to keep me calm while Sophia and Eleanor are telling me how great I’ll do and not to worry about anything else.

We arrive at The Oakwood around eight thirty; about an hour before I have to perform.  I needed some sort of calming remedy so I opted for a shot of anything.  Of course Louis brought me back straight vodka, but I would have drunk anything at this point.  Just as I tipped it back, swallowed in one gulp and let the burn resonate in my throat I heard a familiar voice.

“Calming your nerves, I see.”  I turn to see Harry smiling at me with Zayn right next to him.  I smile.

“Yeah.  It’s much needed.” I replied.  They said a quick hello to Liam and Louis.

“You’ll do fine Niall.  Remember to not worry about it and have confidence.”

“Right.  Easy to say, hard to do.” I stated.  “Oh…you guys haven’t met the girls.  Harry, Zayn…this is Liam’s girlfriend Sophia and Louis’ girlfriend Eleanor.”  They all exchanged hellos and we started speaking of random things, waiting for my turn.

“Is he here yet?” I asked Harry who decided to walk with me backstage when it was my time to get ready.

“Yes.  I saw him come in just as we got up to come back here.  But don’t think about him, ok.  You focus on your performance.”  He held onto both of my shoulders while looking me directly in the eyes.  I gazed back into his.  For some reason every thought that I had dropped away and all I saw was green. 

We stayed like that for a few moments before Ed told me that I had five minutes.

“Oh God.  I’m so nervous” I said and dropped my head onto Harry’s shoulder.  He wrapped his arms around me and began to run his hands up and down the length of my back.

“You’ll do amazing, Niall.  Just don’t think about anything but singing.  Make eye contact with the audience.  Be confident.  Just be Niall.”  I felt his breath on my neck as he whispered those last few words in my ear.  Just be Niall.  I just need to be myself.  Be the outgoing guy that I know I am.  Be the person that my family, Louis and Liam know.  Be the person that Harry and Zayn are getting to know.  Be Niall. 

“Thanks for everything Harry.”

“You’re welcome, Niall.”  We pulled away from each other but stayed in the embrace.  I felt my heart pick up its pace and  I removed my hands from around his neck; slowly sliding then down over his shoulders, down his arms and rested them on top of his hands that were currently resting on my hips.

“Ready Niall?” Ed said, immediately causing Harry and me to pull our hands away.

“Umm…yea…yes, I’m ready.” I slightly stuttered.   I smiled at Harry and he half smiled in return and left the back stage area.  What the hell am I doing?  I can’t let myself get close to him like that.  I have to focus on the music and nothing else.  No more moments like that.  I think.  I hope.  I take a deep breath and nod to Ed.  He returns to the stage to introduce me. 

Be confident.  Be Niall.  I said to myself as I walked out onto the stage and smiled bright and waved to the audience.  Most are regulars of this place and remembered me from last week so I received quite the welcome.