Chapter 26- It's A Pinky Promise, Dummy

“Can we please just stay in California forever?” I plead, pushing some of my clothes into my duffel bag with a frown.

“I don’t think your parents would necessarily approve of that idea, babe,” Mason laughs from where he is sitting on the couch in his bedroom, flipping through the TV channels, looking for something to watch. There’s like, four of his older movies on right now and even though  I tried to persuade him into letting one play, he was being stupid and stubborn and refused to and that’s why he’s continually flickering through the plethora of channels. He’s also really indecisive, Mason is, so that definitely plays into why he can’t seem to settle on what to watch.

Today is December 30th, which means that it’s been five days since Christmas and Mount Baldy and now—  sadly—  we’re going back home. Rather, Clark, Shawn and I are going back home. Obviously, Mason doesn’t live in Indiana since this is clearly his house here in Indiana. He’s coming back to Indiana with us though and he’s going to be either living with his parents or he’s going to be staying in his family’s old house in Indianapolis. Hopefully though, it’s the latter because I really, really do not want to have to drive the necessary three hours up to Elkhart every day just to see my boyfriend. Not that I wouldn’t do that if I needed to, I just don’t want to have to. Mostly because I don’t like putting gas in my car all that often and usually, I don’t have to since I don’t really ever go anywhere at all, aside from work, school and Chick-fil-A

He also said that he’s going to be staying in Indiana for quite some time too—  well, until some day in January, when he as to return to Tahiti to finish filming the last bit of the sequel to Maybe You. Mason did promise not to leave until after my birthday though, which is on the 18th, so that’s good, I guess, though I would really rather he not leave at all. Yes, I realize how impractical that is though, you know, since he’s an actor and that’s his literal job—  to travel all around the world and make really wonderful movies that people all around the world love.

“True, but I’m almost eighteen and when I’m eighteen, I can do whatever I want to,” I remind him, looking up from the floor—  where I’m currently sitting, trying to pack all of my stuff into my duffels and suitcases—  and glancing over at my gorgeous boyfriend. “I think that on my birthday, you  should just let me move in here with you,” I say to him half-seriously, half-jokingly.

“That’d be really cool,” Mason admits, turning to look back at me and nodding in agreement. “I mean, you’d kind of have to stay in Indiana though, you know. At least, for the time being—  until you finish high school so that you can graduate with all of your friends and stuff,” He tells me as if I actually have more than one friend or something, which I obviously don’t. That friend is Clark, who is literally my one and only—  just in case that wasn’t completely obvious, even though I think that it was rather apparent.

“You mean friend, as in singular,” I correct my boyfriend, playfully rolling my eyes. Okay, well I guess that’s not necessarily true—  Shawn is my friend too and so is Wyatt. At least, I think that we’re friends. I don’t hate him anywhere near as much as I used to before he moved in with us, that’s for sure—  I’ve realized that he’s actually not an awful human being, just a bit little different.

“Anyway, my point is, you’ve been with most of those people since like, elementary school and that’s twelve years that you’ve known a lot of them so I think that you should just go on and finish the year out and graduate there.” Mason tells me. “Oh and you don’t have just one friend—  I’m your friend too, you know,” He explains, giving me his oh-so beautifully gorgeous and perfect smile.