Chapter 3- It's Like A Sauna In Here

“Hey Aria,” Barbara smiles sweetly as I walk into Tome Sweet Tome at exactly 3 o’clock.

“Hey Barb,” I reply, giving her a small wave as I walk past her towards the counter.

“How’re you doing on this lovely afternoon?” She queries as I plop down on my stool.

“I’m alright,” I truthfully respond. “My friends forced me to go shopping this morning but then I got to get chicken nuggets for lunch, so that was nice.” I explain, setting my iPhone to vibrate. “How are you?” I inquire, placing my elbows up on the counter.

“I’m great, aside from this freezing weather- I have to keep the heat on all day,” She grumbles.

“It is like a sauna in here,” I say, quoting that one Progressive commercial. It’s just so funny.

“Oh, Aria,” Barbara chuckles at my joke. “I can turn the heat down, if you like.”

“No, that’s okay. I’ll manage, thanks though.”

“Alright then, if you’re sure. I’m gonna go do some inventory restock.”

“Need some help?” I offer, not wanting to make her feel like I’m just here to do nothing.

“Oh, no, honey, I’m good. You just help someone if they come in,” She tells me, smiling lightly.

“Okay, well, if you do need help, I’ll be here.” I tell her and with that she nods and leaves, probably going to her office. I sigh and unlock my phone, slipping my earbuds in, knowing that Barbara won’t come ask me for help. She never does, which is good because I’m so lazy. I feel like I should offer my help anyways.

I go to my music- I’m a big music person, if fact I have about 550 songs on my phone. I don’t even know why, because it literally takes me about three days to listen to them all, and maybe longer. I click on my Maroon 5- because I mean, who doesn’t love Maroon 5? Well, Adam Levine and the other guys. I can’t even really call myself a Maroon 5 fan- I only know the front man’s name. Oh, that’s actually not true. I think one of them is called Jesse Carmichael, like the one that plays the keyboard and does the backing vocals. That’s about all I know that. One More Night blasts from the speakers in my earbuds, flooding through my ears at the highest volume I can turn it up to.

You and I go hard at each other

Like we’re going to war.

You and I go rough,

We keep throwing things and slamming the doors.

You and I get so damn dysfunctional,

We start keeping score.

You and I get sick,

Yeah, I know that we can’t do this anymore.

But baby, there you go again, there you go again,

Making me love you.

I spin around on the padded stool, belting out the song with Adam Levine, perfectly content with this moment. I think this is probably the best way to spend a Saturday afternoon. In a nearly empty book store, singing my heart out to Maroon 5.

And I know I said it a million times,

But I’ll only stay with you one more night

I dunno, whatever.

The first hour flies by and before I know it, it’s already 4:30. I get off at 9 o’clock tonight- I only get off on 7 p.m. on school nights, so about five more hours. No one has come into the store yet, which only makes my life a little bit easier, since I don’t have to actually do anything. This is the kinda real job I need, like when I grow up. You know what I mean? One of those stupid jobs where you get paid a lot, but all you really ever do is sit down and wait for other people to do stuff for you? Yeah, I’d like a job like that.