26 | givin' you a jingle

2 6

givin' you a jingle

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The phone felt heavy in her hands, although it was surely less than half a pound. It sat open in her hand, a silent, impartial device, yet intimidating at the same time.

"I'll stay here if you want," Steve offered, taking her hand in his own. "We'll all stay if you'd like."

She smiled softly, then took her hand away from his. "I'll be fine on my own, I think," she said quietly, "it's not like she can hurt me on the other end of the line."

They left, but Steve still looked unsure, only moving when she nudged him off the couch. "Okay, just...holler if you need me," he wrung his hands against one another, nervousness creating a line in the middle of his forehead.

Cara stood up, tilted her head towards him, and eased the worry line out of his skin with her soft lips pressed against the spot. "I'm sure it'll be fine. I can take care of myself."

"Yeah," he agreed, "but the thing is, you don't have to." He rubbed the pad of his thumb against her cheek, and she leaned into him for a beat, savoring the feeling of security. She could have that all the time if she'd let him. But she didn't want to be a whiny teenager. She wanted to be strong. So she released herself from his embrace and smiled.

"I can do this on my own," she reassured him, and after he pressed his lips against her cheek, he stepped out of the living room.

Cara didn't miss the wolf whistles that filled the air the second he'd exited the space. She rolled her eyes, the light-hearted gesture breaking through the tension that had appeared.

"J.A.R.V.I.S.?" She called out, waiting for his response. She'd begun to get used to his presence, and rather enjoyed small, meaningless conversations with him. He was like a much more accurate version of Siri. And someone she could easily call a friend.

"Your wish is my command, Cara," he replied.

"I'm ready for the phone number."

"Ah," he said, and recited her Aunt May's cell phone number.

She dialed as he spoke, but before she hit "talk," she talked to the program again. "J.A.R.V.I.S., you'll listen to the conversation, right?"

If he were real, she was sure he'd nod firmly. "Of course."

She took a deep breath. Everyone who was here would protect her, would help her do what she needed to do.

And what she needed to do now was tie up loose ends with the aunt that had fallen out of her life after her mother's death day.

The phone rang four times before it was answered by a woman who seemed in her mid-thirties due to the mature, sultry voice that hummed, "Hello?"

"Hi," Cara's voice shook. She couldn't tell if it was out of excitement or nervousness. Probably both, she thought. "Is this May?"