13 | something patriotic

1 3

something patriotic

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Come on, that one was funny," Cara giggled, remembering what had just happened.

"That was pushing it a little too far," Steve objected, making her noises of laughter fade. "He doesn't even know you that well. You're lucky that I was so understanding when you asked me. But you can't just go around asking us if and where we've had..." He trailed off and looked around, as if he'd heard footsteps(which there weren't any). "You have to act like somewhat of an adult," he concluded, turning back to her. But she took note of the fact that his face had been growing redder ever since he'd refused to say the word.

Cara keeled over, laughing hard enough to squeeze her eyes shut and clutch her stomach. "Oh my god," she recovered, "I can't believe it."

"Believe what?" Steve asked, unsure of what she'd meant.

Cara's voice made to be much louder than what she'd thought it would be. "You're afraid of saying the word 'sex'!" She exclaimed, and watched in amusement as Tony, Nat, and Clint raced into the room.

Clint smirked. "You finally got it out of him, huh?"

"That is not what she meant," Steve stood up abruptly, his face as red as she'd ever seen it.

"Um, yeah it is," Cara rolled her eyes, and caught Nat staring at her with an unreadable grin on her face. Maybe she was finally cracking her unkind demeanor?

As Tony watched on, pouring himself a drink of some dark liquid(surely alcoholic), Nat said, "Well, if you're afraid of saying it, Rogers, I guess that explains the reason you're afraid of doing it." She cocked an eyebrow and let a tight smirk take over her face.

Cara smiled in triumph. Yes! Maybe we'll be able to be somewhat friends, making fun of Steve the whole time, she thought cheerfully.

"I'm not afraid of--" Steve rubbed his temples. "How the hell did this even happen?"

"Steve," Cara hissed mockingly, "watch your language!"

The 98-year-old sighed heavily, and rolled his eyes, seemingly exhausted. Cara loved the way she could get him worked up, it was hilarious. "You know what, I'm just going to remove myself from the situation, and go do something...patriotic." He stormed out of the room, grumbling something under his breath.

In between breathless chuckles, Cara called after him, "Yes, honey bunches! YOU DO YOU, BOO BOO!"

And, to everyone's surprise, Steve threw the Hawaiian salute over his shoulder to the rest of them, and proceeded to walk away in the midst of collective, dramatized gasps.

"I still don't like you, but I have to say: I don't think anyone's been able to get him that fired up since...since the 40s," Nat said with a sad, nostalgic look on her face.

But Cara didn't notice it; she was picking up on the fact that two new people had entered the large room: Bruce, who looked like he had just woken up from a nap, and Thor, luscious locks and all.

"I heard booming laughter and came to investigate the situation," Thor said grandly. "What is the matter?"

"We got Steve to admit that he only likes to dance whilst wearing clothes," Cara smirked, rather proud of her shenanigans.