Chapter 3

(A/N) YEESSSS! THREE UPLOADS IN A DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *pumps fist*

:) Sorry...I should get to the story... >.<

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once we had reached Nurse Powell's office, I told her that I ate a "heavy snack" before the class, saving myself from future embarrassment. There was no way I was going to tell her about what I had downed before class!

With the nurse's permission, I left home early to get some rest and "make sure there weren't going to be any more accidents during class." 

Once I reached my quaint, modest home, I plopped down on the couch and absentmindedly started  flipping through the several channels until I reached an ad that provided information about the Good&Glow modeling contest.

While they were showing the contestants, I gasped. 

My picture was there.

But not just any picture, it was my sixth grade picture, the one in which I had just lost my front right tooth the day before. 

If anyone watched this commercial...I shuddered, already hearing the new taunts and ugly rumors Lucy and her crew would be saying. 

I had to tell my mom to withdraw me from the contest, or in the very least, get rid of that picture and send in another one. 

I looked up at the coo-coo clock hanging up on the wall, which read 1:30.

I sighed. Four more hours til she came back.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As soon as five thirty came around, and my mother entered the doorway, I ran to her and hugged her extremely tightly. 

"Have I ever told you how much I love you?" I asked, smiling.

My mother sighed. "What do you want now? I told you already, that phone you want is too expensive."

I tried to look shocked, but all my mother said was,"Puh-lease sweetie. Drop the act. Now cut to the chase. What do you want?"

I smiled a genuine smile. Only my mother knew me this well. 

"Well, when I got back from school, I was flipping through some channels on the television..."

"Wait! TV? Serenity! I always told you homework first! Get your priorities straight!" she snapped angrily.

I rolled my eyes, her mood swings were driving me nuts. "Let me rephrase that mother," I said patiently,"When I got back from school and finished my homework, I started flipping through some television channels, when I stumbled across a Good&Glow modeling commercial. When they were displaying the contestants, I saw my SIXTH GRADE PICTURE! Can you please explain that to me?" 

"Oh honey pie, I couldn't find any other pictures of you, so I sent that one in. You should be ecstatic that they accepted you!"

"Happy?" I shrieked, letting my frustration and anger out, my pitch raising higher and higher with each letter. "You're the one who made me do it!"

"Sweetie, if it made you that upset I can change it..." she trailed off, suddenly uncertain.

"It's not just the picture, mom. It's the whole thing!"

"Serenity Hope Rose! I WILL NOT WITHDRAW YOU FROM THAT COMPETITION! We need the money for your college," she abruptedly started sobbing.

"What do you mean? I thought my college funds were covered?" I asked.

"W-we needed it to cover for the damage that your father made." she said, crying hysterically.

"What do you mean? What damage?" I demanded, desperately needing to know.

"H-he was drinking, sweetie. He was sobered up by the weekend. But that business trip he was going to was actually a gambling trip. Turns out, he had been fired from his job two years ago. What he's been giving us was his poker money. He's in rehab now." By this time, she was heaving out dry sobs.

I stood there, shocked. What to do now? It felt as if my world came crashing down on me. There waas nothing I could do. I felt helpless.

Like a rag doll, abandoned on the side of the road.

But my father...flashbacks ran through my brain. The first time he taught me how to ride a bike, when he bought me the Barbie doll I wanted, but my mother had said that it was a waste of money.

He'd been hiding his alcohol secret for two years, or more, I thought.

Soon the pity and sadness was replaced by anger and disgust. 

How could he have done that?

Unable to control my feelings, I stomped upstairs, kicking everything in my path.

As soon as I reached my room, I picked up the phone, resisting the urge to smash it into bits. 

I needed to calm down and talk to someone.

Alyssa.

I quickly dialed her number which I had memorized so long ago. 1-323-583-5032...

I waited, eager to hear Alyssa's calming voice. But instead, I heard a artificial one saying,"Please leave a message after the..."

I slammed down the phone onto the reciever and flopped down on my bed, physically and emotionally exhausted.

"F*ck the contest," I said aloud,"Tomorrow, I'm going to the rehab center and demand my money back."

Then, I laughed like a lunatic. Maybe I was going crazy too, talking to myself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry that was short! But you probably didn't expect that...did ya?

:D

Please comment, vote, fan!

(YES! I lied...there was cussing. >.<)