Chapter 6: The Hug and The Warning

Hello! Thanks soo much for reading. Remember to COMMENT and VOTE!! 

Without further ado (sp?) :D

---------------------------------------------

Chapter 6:

Jace was looking at the jock with his body tensed, and his hands clenched into fists. The jock’s face was slowly changing from a confident smirk to an unsure smile. He wasn’t going to admit defeat in front of the school. With Jace’s apparent need for revenge, a fight was brewing. People began shouting names, and the jock was beginning to worry.

            “Hey Man, no harm. She’s not hurt. No worries, right?” said Josh, the jock. When seeing that Jace wasn’t answering, he continued on and gained a bit of confidence. “I mean she’s just a nerd, so you can go back to your forest.” Josh finished with a smile that got bigger as the crowd cheered him on. I was not hurt by what he said, though. I was a nerd, and if being a nerd makes me a better person than him, then I’m a nerd.

What had my anger rising was what he said to Jace, and Jace seemed about ready to explode. His body was trembling, and his muscles were tightening, as if he was holding back himself from killing Josh. I couldn’t see his face because he was standing in front of me, but I was glad. If his body seemed so tight, I could only imagine how angry his face would have been.

I thought sent me blushing and extremely happy. He was doing this for me. Jace was angry about Josh pushing me. A girl he’d only talked to twice. Another angry growl escaped Jace’s mouth and I decided to stop the fight before they both got in trouble.

            “Jace, Jace,” I whispered while tugging on his jacket sleeve. He turned his head toward me, and his once furious face softened once glancing at me.

            “It’s okay. I’m fine. Let’s go. I don’t want to be late.” I whispered and smiled at the end to reassure him that I was fine. He seemed hesitant to leave without killing Josh, but I sent him a pleading look. He sighed and helped me get up. The crowd slowly dispersed, and everyone seemed disappointed that the fight didn’t happen.

Many angry looks were sent toward me, maybe for stopping the fight or maybe because Jace was holding my hand. Before we were almost out, Jace let go of my hand. Disappointed I turned to look at him, only to see his fist was planted in Josh’s face. Before a crowd surrounded the fight, Jace turned and walked back to me. There were shouts of worry and excitement.

Jace led me out of the hallway and to my next class. He turned towards me and handed my backpack back.

            “I’m sorry,” he whispered.

            “I-it’s fine. Thank you for…standing up for me,” I replied quietly. “You didn’t have to.”

            “He had no right saying and doing those things. I’d never let anyone say those things to you.” He placed one of his hands on my cheek, caressing it. The fireworks exploded, and my cheeks reddened. I let out a shaky breath and said thanks again before breaking the gaze and disappearing through the door.

My mind was racing. I felt so comfortable and happy around him, not at all scared of his rough demeanor. He seemed to turn into such a softie around me, and these thoughts left me confused.

Why did he seem to know me so well? Why did he make me feel so amazing and carefree around him? Why did he heal so quickly? I pushed those thoughts away as class started.

Kennedy had come toward me in the last moments of class to ask me about how I new Jace, and as always, she was hyped up on sugar.

            “Soooooooooo, what happened? How do you know him? Is it from the forest? Wasn’t it just soo cute when he stood up for you. The way he looked at you was so loving and caring. I think he looooves you!” She sung out. I quickly shushed her before she demanded I tell her.