part 7

Meghann clambered out of her hammock, ungracefully rising to her feet. Glaring daggers at Seamus, she said, "I'll tell them that I want to go home, that I don't want to be with you."

"You can't argue with the fates, Meghann. You are imprinted on me and they will see that once we are together. No matter how sudden this feels to you, I love you. I have watched you from afar, felt your heartache and anger for five years. At first it was an unwanted burden, but as the years have passed I have grown attached to you," Seamus said fervently. "Let me get you ready, and we will meet my parents. You will like them."

As Meghann thought of meeting his parents, the fact that he was a Prince crashed into her. She would meet the King and Queen.

"I can't meet them! I don't have anything to wear, and I don't know you, and I want to go home, and I...and I...and I can't breathe," Meghann said breathlessly. Her knees were suddenly made of jello and she began to collapse to the floor. Seamus was quickly beside her and scooped her up.

"Sh...sh...sh...It'll be okay. Just take a slow deep breath. I can get you something to wear, we have the rest of our lives for you to get to know me. This will be your home," Seamus said patiently, as if talking to a small child.

Meghann just nodded with tears in her eyes. Seamus carried her through a small portal that she hadn't noticed before into a smaller chamber. He set her in a giant clamshell that was filled with soft cushions, then went and pulled some gauzy cloth out of an alcove in the rounded corner of the room. He padded silently to stand in front of her again.

"Can you stand up now?" he asked gently. Meghann nodded and stood slowly. Seamus reached for the wrap she had tucked around her, but Meghann clung tightly to it.

"I'm not going to take it from you," Seamus said. "I'm just going to fix it so you have it on right."

Reluctantly, Meghann eased her grip and within seconds Seamus had pulled the corners lose then crossed them over her chest and loosely tied them behind her neck. Then he used the gauzy material to form a skirt of sorts around her waist. Surprised, Meghann looked down at herself and thought she looked like some sort of nymph in old fairy tales.

Seamus returned to the alcove and pulled out two belts with weapons on them and looped one over his left shoulder, and the other over his right. This formed an 'X' across his chiseled chest. Meghann noticed one held a dagger over his left chest, and the other a long black sword at his back. Next he pulled out a belt that he fastened around his waist with a large shell that hung over his groin. He let the filmy wrap from his waist fall to the floor then, giving Meghann an enticing view of his backside. He gathered a few more items, placing gold cuffs at his wrists and a beautiful necklace of shells and stones.

Seamus came to Meghann, his swagger causing Meghann to shudder. He reached up and placed a matching necklace over her head. She reached up to feel the weight of the shells and stones. As soon as it touched her skin she felt a fullness in her chest that she could not explain.

"It's our link. You'll get used to it," Seamus said, picking up on her unguarded thoughts.

They returned to the pool and Seamus dived sinuously into the water and resurfaced quickly, his tail flapping once above the water. "Well, come on. I'll keep you safe and warm, just like I did before. Remember, I can breathe for you."

Meghann looked at his outstretched hand and then jumped in feet first.