part 6

Meghann was speechless after witnessing the argument between the two creatures that an hour ago she didn't believe in. Looking around her, she spotted what she thought was a seat and went to sit on it. Just as she was going to touch the surface of the square object, Seamus called out, "Stop, what are you doing?"

Meghann stood up quickly, confused about what she'd done wrong. "I was just going to sit down, I'm worn out."

"Not there! That is the energy supply here, not a place to sit your dorsal."

Meghann began to giggle at the ridiculous term, but then registered what he had said and looked closer at the box she almost sat on. It emitted a light iridescence, and she felt a hum coming from it as she reached to touch it.

"Stop! What is wrong with you? Can't you listen? That is not for you to touch, only the ancients are to move or touch it." Seamus said as he moved between her and the now glowing cube.

He directed her to what appeared to be a net hanging from the ceiling, and held it open for her. Meghann tried to gracefully sit into the hammock but ended up feeling tangled up in the net. Seamus laughed as he swung another net nearer to her and slipped into it with ease.

"Please, enlighten me as to how we are mates. I didn't know you before today and I can't imagine why someone like you would want anything to do with me." Meghann was still fidgeting trying to get comfortable in her net. "Isn't this a little morbid to sit in nets? We catch fish in nets to eat."

"How is it morbid? We feel particularly secure in the nets when we aren't in our other form. They allow us to flow as if we were in the water," Seamus explained a little impatiently.

"Why do you live like this if you prefer the water?" Meghann asked.

"Most of us do not. I made this home for you, as I knew you would not be able to tolerate being only in the water, like most of us. I wanted you to be happy here once you came to me."

"But I didn't come to you, you took me. I was only trying to save someone who was in trouble," Meghann said irritably.

"When you were young and we first met, I knew I could not keep you then, even we have standards for the young. Even though I knew you had imprinted on me, I had to let you grow. It would have been improper otherwise. Once imprinted, only your best interest can be done, so I returned you to the humans."

"Do you know how hard it was for me? Everyone thought I was insane!" Meghann cried. "My family wouldn't let me talk about it. I thought you were my father then..."

"I do know how hard it was. Remember, I feel all of your emotions. That is why I decided to bring you with me when you stepped into my sea. I had felt your sadness and despair heightening over the last several months, and I could not take your depression. It has nearly been my undoing," Seamus said sincerely.

Meghann did not understand how the link between them worked, but she did not feel as if she had gotten anything out of it.

'I shielded you from my feelings. I didn't want you to feel my loss at not having you near,' Seamus' voice said in her head.

"How do you do that?" Meghann gasped.

'You can do it, too. We all speak this way, it is easier underwater,' he said telepathically. 'Just be sure that you clearly envision the one you want to hear you, or you will broadcast to everyone.'

For the next few minutes they worked together so that Meghann was forming phrases rather than sending every thought that entered into her head. Seamus was amused at the images he received before she learned how to regulate herself. He got images of himself and the two of them embracing. He also reveled in her gasp when he sent a graphic image back to Meghann.

"I am so glad you are here, my mate," he said aloud, cutting his thoughts off from her.

Meghann was still reeling from the image he had sent, causing heat to course through her. As realization set in that Seamus intended to keep her here, she at once became alarmed, "What about my uncle? They will be so worried, not knowing where I am."

"Meghann, I do not know what to say right now. I feel that I must have you with me. Maybe we can get a message of some sort to them eventually, but I won't take you to the surface."

Meghann was furious, "How can you keep me against my will."

"I have no choice," Seamus said resolutely. "I must take you to meet my parents, and show them that I am telling the truth about you. They have to let us be mated officially then."