Chapter 1: Moving Day

I can't believe that this is finally happening. I get to travel and meet new people. All while doing what I love, teaching! I'm a bit nervous though. What if I'm not a good enough teacher to teach them English? They all will be depending on me. It shouldn't be that hard, right? I mean it is my native language. I wonder if I'll make friends out there. It's going to be harsh leaving everything and everyone behind. Well, I might as well get back to packing, I have a long flight ahead of me. Sierra thought to herself as she went back to preparation.

Sierra, (25) lived in a studio apartment after she moved out of her mom's place. She loved foreign everything! If it had anything to do with South Korea, Sierra loved it! The language, the food, the music, the fashion, the people and the dramas, she loved it all. Now Sierra's getting the chance to teach there. Sierra hopes that she will enjoy it there. When her current principal at the school told her about the new job offer, she immediately said yes, no questions asked and no hesitations at all.

Before she left to go to the airport, she stopped by her moms and said her final goodbyes. Her mother told her to be safe and remember to call her when she lands. Her mom was very overprotective when it comes to her daughter's safety. Sierra gave her mom a kiss and a very long hug. She then turned to her younger sister by eight years, "I love you sis, take care of mama and she better not call me and tell me that your failing! This is your last year so don't screw up!" Sierra hugged her, and she left for the airport. 

When she arrived, she headed to the plane, put her bags up and sat in her seat. While Sierra waited for the flight to take off, she looked for specific things to do since she wasn't going to start her new job until next week. She was so excited that she couldn't contain herself from smiling the whole flight. However, it's a fourteen-hour flight, can you imagine sitting for that long?

After the long flight, she arrived at her destination in Seoul, South Korea. She was instantly in love with the sight she was seeing. She went to a bank to exchange her currency from American money to Korean money. Sierra went to one of the most famous hotels in Seoul called, The Shilla Seoul. After she registered at The Shilla Seoul, she walked around outside the hotel just to get a good jiff of her surroundings. Sierra grabbed a translation guide to take with her just in case she needed it.

Looking for words to use and practicing them while walking around Seoul was a littler tougher than she thought. "Mwo, Museun, Mwo, ugh will I ever get this right? I need to practice more so that I can make friends here." Beating herself up but also giving herself a lot of confidence. 

As Sierra was walking, she found a cute little coffee shop called, Coffee Montage. She walked in and was greeted by one of the workers. "Annyeong haseyo!" The waitress looked at her with a huge smile. Sierra got out her translation guide and tried to say it back, "Anyoungasyo!" Sierra said with much excitement. The waitress giggled and said with a Korean accent, "Oh I see, you are American? Annyeong haseyo means Hello here. You said something completely different." She giggled "But that's okay you have to pronounce it like this an-nyeong-ha-se-yo.

You must have to make your mouth into an O shaped to get the yeong part right. You also must watch how you say it to certain people; it can mean something different to a senior or a young adult. It's a form of respect." Sierra felt embarrassed. "I'm sorry, I just moved here, and I am going to be a teacher here in Seoul. I am going to be teaching English to those who want to learn and for those that are going to study abroad." She laughed nervously.

The waitress giggled. "Oh cool, that sounds like fun, if it's okay with you, I can show you around a little so that you can learn more about Seoul. Maybe we can become friends in the process? I'm Kim Sa-ra by the way, and you are?"

Sierra was amazed at how fluent Sa-ra was in English. "I'm Sierra Brady, nice to meet you Sa-ra. May I ask how you are so fluent in English?" Sa-ra giggled, "I took classes when I was in grade 1. I learned super early." They both laugh, and Sa-ra showed her to a table. "What will you have Sierra?" Sierra smiled, "Just dark roasted coffee with a little cream." "Nice choice, I see that we like our coffee the same. That's something that we have in common already." Sa-ra smiled and wrote down her order.

Sierra waited at the shop for Sa-ra to get off so that they could hang more and get to know one another. Hours went by, Sierra and Sa-ra were like best friends already and nothing could separate the two. Sa-ra looked at the time, "It's getting late, would you like for me to drop you at the hotel?" Sierra shook her head, yes and they proceeded to Sa-ra's car.

Throughout the car ride, they talked more and learned things about each other's favorite colors, food, favorite K-pop band and famous actors/actresses. When Sa-ra arrived at the hotel, they said their goodbyes and Sa-ra left Sierra with her number so that they could hang out again tomorrow since Sa-ra had the day off from work.

"Have a good night Sa-ra, see you tomorrow," Sierra said with the biggest smile ever. Sierra went inside the hotel and went to her room and showered. After her shower, she laid on the big soft bed and thought about today.

I can't believe that I made a friend already. Things are going so well. I can't wait till I meet Sa-ra again, she's a fantastic person. I should get some rest; I have shopping to do. I need a new phone and new clothes. Sa-ra said she would help me fit in a bit more. I can't believe this is happening! I wonder what else we will get into? I hope that I will be a good enough friend for Sa-ra and I won't be too boring for her. She thought to herself.

Sierra was so excited that she stayed up till about 4 am. She could not stop thinking about the day ahead, would Sa-ra really help her fit in? Could she make friends how she and Sa-ra did? Time will only tell. Sierra fell asleep so peacefully.