12. Laying Low

Laying low and not checking twitter for a few days was a lot harder than expected, it had become a daily habit in my job to constantly be active on social media, so this was a struggle.

I didn't even want to go outside or round Brighton in fear that a viewer would recognise me and question me about the recent scandal. Alfie and I had even heard viewers ringing our doorbell and putting things in our post-box.

Since the media picked up on the fact I hadn't completely written Girl Online by myself, they had been writing news stories left, right and center about us. The last one I had seen was 'The Mirror's ' article on how much our house had cost, and estimating how much me and Alfie had earned last year. It pissed me off that the traditional media outlets only reported stories on youtubers regarding how much money we make, statistics and scandals. It was never about how much work or effort youtubers have put into creating this community or quality content; it was always negative things.

Long story short, The Mirror decided it would be a good idea to publically post out home address on the internet, so in the last few days viewers had been queuing up outside our gates, ringing the doorbell in hopes we would come out and meet them which was especially not great timing after my anxiety was at an all time high after being locked up in the house obsessing over articles regarding my book.

"Zoe!" Alfie called from the kitchen.

I got up from the sofa and padded through to him.

Alfie looked down at me with sad eyes and wrapped his arms around my shoulders, resting his head on my chin.

"Dom just rang. He said they're postponing the Girl Online book signings for the moment." Alfie rubbed my back, comfortingly.

I sigh "Good. I don't really want to be in contact with anyone from penguin at the moment."

I knew I was acting childishly, but would you want to have book signings and be surrounded by people working for the company that publically threw you under the bus?

Alfie kissed the top of my head "It was lucky the signing dates hadn't been announced by now, or the cancelling of them would have only added fuel to the fire."

"Oh god, can it get much worse?" I chuckled.

I'd gone past the point of being pissed at some of these bizzare things happening now, I just had to laugh. It was just awkward now, Penguin had offered and signed me to a 3 part book deal and ultimately just fucked me over after the first one. The next 2 years were going to be interesting...

Alfie awkwardly chuckled and I could sense there was something else on his mind.

"What's going on?" I confronted him.

"What? No- I-I'm just er letting you know that I'm gonna be vlogging again tomorrow." Alfie was stumbling over his words and it was evident he was nervous and even guilty?

"Oh..." I didn't know what else to say. I couldn't tell or even ask him not to, it was his job for god sake. I just had a funny feeling about being back on camera and not addressing the issue that was acting as the elephant in the room.

"Yeah...and also um this guy Joe Weller is coming over tomorrow to film a collab with me." Alfie muttered quickly as though he was dreading telling me.

I frowned at him in confusion, why hadn't he mentioned this before? I felt like he was starting to keep secrets from me. I know I've been distant the last few days...or weeks I guess, but I didn't realise it was taking a strain on my relationship with Alfie.

"His channel's just blown up and it's the perfect time so he's coming to the house tomorrow to film." Alfie poured a glass of water whilst he talked, avoiding eye contact with me.

"Yeah...that's fine with me I guess." I absentmindedly replied.

"Do you wanna join in? You haven't posted a main channel video in like 2 weeks?" Alfie's voice dropped to one of concern and his comment surprised me.

"I haven't? 2 weeks?" It had completely blown over my head that 2 weeks had gone past without me filming anything for my youtube channel. The impending fear of the judgement from my viewers followed me like a cloud as I knew there would be people who questioned my judgement of not being able to address the recent altercation regarding the authorship of Girl Online.

"Well I'm not getting paid this month then" I laughed. Alfie snorted and shook his head.

"I'm sure you'll be fine Miss 5 million subscribers."

"You're catching up too!" I stuck my tongue out at Alfie while he rolled his eyes playfully at me.

Alfie walked over and sat down next to me on the sofa, wrapping his arms around me "How about we go away for a few days? Just to clear our heads, you could even get back into vlogging while we're there? Poppy and Sean and Mum and Dad could come, it would get your mind off things?" Alfie rested his chin on the top of my head and I nodded slowly, then moving my head to look up at him.

"That would be perfect, gorgeous" I kissed the tip of his nose.

"Any ideas where you wanna go?" Alfie rested back against the sofa.

I took a moment to think. Nowhere abroad, but nowhere too close to home. I never really felt a holiday was a proper holiday unless it was by the seaside. After living in Brighton for a few years the sea breeze calmed me and I felt at home, so travelling to the seaside didn't spark any anxiety, which travelling usually caused me.

"Cornwall?" I suggested.

Alfie's eyes lit up and a cute smile grew on his face.

"Yes! Imagine all the watersports we could do!" I shook my head laughing.

This boy.

A/N: I'm aware this is pretty shitty but haven't written anything on wattpad in 2 years. I'm baaaackkk though!

-kat