Chapter 7

When I arrived at the hotel after a quick run, I noticed that the car that Mulder and I had driven here had been somewhat tampered with. The front passenger door was unlocked and open just a crack. I walked over and my heart sunk into my stomach, I opened the door and peered into the car. Blood was all over the seat. I started to panic, not knowing what to do.

"Mulder."

I whispered. I started to sprint to his room, expecting the worst.

"Mulder!" I screamed, running into his room.

 A small trail of blood stained onto the dirty beige carpet leading into the bathroom. I followed the small voice saying "In here." Into the bathroom. There on the bathroom floor was Mulder sitting against the bathtub clutching unto his shoulder with blood dripping down his hand and on the floor.

"What happened?" I said, bending over and removing his hand from the wounded area.

"I went out to the car to get some of the files for the case and then I was shot." He winced where I was inspecting the area.

"I wish you would have waited until I came back, I know you were just going out to the car but I shouldn't have left." 

He looked up at me. "It's not your fault, I'm kinda glad you weren't here."

I looked at him, observing his masculine face. "Um...." I paused. Our eyes locked, it seemed like his eyes were searching into my mind. I quickly broke the stare and returned my eyes back to the wound. "Did you see who shot you?" I asked while frantically searching for a first aid kit around the bathroom. "No, no I was going out to the car to grab some things, and a white car drove by and shot me. They sped off before I could see." I tore apart the cabinet in the bathroom and finally found a small red box, I fell to my knees beside Mulder and examined the wound. "Should we call the police?" I asked, gentility removing his hand from the area. He grimaced and sighed, taking a moment to look down at my hands. "We are the police, we can figure this out on our own." The wound was still bleeding as much as it was before. I tried to keep my cool as I gently tried to look and see if the bullet passed through.

*** 

A couple hours had passed by, and we decided to settle into my room for the night hoping that whoever shot Mulder wouldn't realize where my room was if they knew where his is. The overall mood of the night was cold and uninviting, the exact opposite of how it usually was. Mulder was on the couch with his arm propped up on pillows sound asleep. I sat at the kitchen table going through some files that Mulder was trying to receive from the car, I couldn't concentrate though,  knowing that someone was out to get him or even us. If anything had happened to him while I was gone, I wouldn't have known what to do with myself. But it didn't happen though, and I thanked God or whatever higher power that exists for it. I glanced over to the couch, watching his chest move up and down slowly. His hazel eyes darted softly under his lids, it left me wondering what he was dreaming about. As his thoughts distracted me from my own, my cellphone rang quietly from my bedroom snapping me out of it. I tiptoed quickly and answered softly.

"Agent Carter speaking."

"Agent Carter this is Skinner calling, we have you and Agent Mulder booked on a flight to come back. You both have to get out of there, it isn't safe anymore. We've got threats coming from an anonymous source. Pack your bags as quickly as you can, we hope to see you soon."

"Of course Skinner, I'll let Mulder know."

All of that information sent me into overdrive, I quickly packed up the rest of my belongings and gathered our important files from the kitchen. After all of that was done I decided to let Mulder rest and went to his room to pack his stuff. Clothes from days previous were in a pile on the office chair, I smiled to myself. It reminded me of his messy office, things thrown about but still in a sense of order. I quickly got his belongings together, putting them away as neat as possible. 

Everything was packed and set neatly against the door, I sat in a big armchair watching the minutes tick by until it was time for us to go to the airport. Mulder stirred in his sleep every now and again, and this time it just got a little too intense. He started to thrash in his sleep, and I was afraid he was going to hurt his arm even worse. I rushed over to his side and held my hand to his face.

"Mulder, Mulder wake up! It's just a dream." I cooed.

His hazel eyes opened with a flash and he took a deep breath. His head melted into my hand, he closed his eyes softly and tried to control his breathing. 

"It's okay, everything is okay," I said, pushing his matted hair away from his eyes.

*******************

okay wow hi so I know probably NOBODY is gonna read this travesty but I really wanted to continue this. I started writing this when I was young and cringy but now I'm older and less cringy so I'm hoping it'll be better. Thanks if anyone even looks at this.