Empty Celtic Villages

When we got to the Celtic watch post, it was deserted.  Gilan said since there has been a treaty between Arulen and Celtica for so many years, they found no need to continue manning this post.

"Come on, we should look around." Gilan told us.

We looked in one of the first houses,  and it was a mess. Food that looked like it had been there for several days, clothes scattered throughout, exactly the opposite of what I had been told about Celts. Gilan seemed confused, so it's not like I'm the only one.

"Celts would normally clean this up before leaving, unless they were forced to leave, right Gilan?" I asked.

"That's what I was thinking about. Celts are orderly folk, and this is not orderly." Gilan said.

"Gilan, should we be setting up camp now?" Horace asked.

"I think we should bring our horses in, and sleep under a roof tonight." Gilan replied.

"Are you sure?" Will asked warily.

"It often rains at night here. I think Tug would like to be dry tonight." Gilan explained. That did it for Will. He looked after his horse better than he looked after himself.

We went inside, and we all tried, and failed, to get some sleep.

I couldn't sleep because I was thinking about George. He was right, it was going to take longer than we thought. I felt bad for leaving again, but this is just me. He always says he'll support me through anything, but I can tell it upsets him every time.

The next morning, we headed to the small town near by. We were on the hill, when I pointed something out.

"Gilan, should we be making ourselves this obvious?" I asked.

"Well, it's a little late now, but next time, we'll keep that in mind." Gilan replied.

We went into one of the houses to sleep under a roof again.

I was sitting away from the others, looking out the window, when Horace came over to talk.

"Hey." he said, putting an arm around me.

"Hi," I replied, zoned out for a moment.

"You ok?"

"Yeah."

"What are you thinking about?"

"George."

"Well, he's probably thinking about you too."

"Well, with this mystery,  the mission is going to take longer. He wasn't happy when I told him I was leaving."

"He doesn't want you to get hurt."

"I know."

For once, Horace couldn't help the way I felt.

"Time for bed!" said Gilan suddenly.

Will waited for Gilan and Horace to fall asleep, then came over to where I was laying, and sat beside me. He saw that I was crying.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asked, setting a hand on my cheek.

"I really miss George. I don't like doing this to him, and it's bothering me." I whispered.

"Ok, just don't worry. He'll be fine, and you know it."

He went to bed, and I realized that only one person's touch could calm me now, so I gave up.