On the Road

Horace is crazy. He is too nervous. He won't ride in line with me, Will, and Gilan. He lives by formalities.

"Horace, you can come up here and ride with us. We rangers don't live by formalities you know." Gilan said.

"Thank you Sir." Horace replied, urgung Kicker, his horse, forward.

"Hear that Will? He has manners. Maybe you two should call me 'Sir' as well. You know, to help us remember who is in charge here." Gilan said with a completely straight face.

"Me, call you 'Sir'? Gilan, what are you smoking?" I asked in shock.

"You really want me to call you 'Sir' Gilan? I mean you want me to call you 'Sir' sir?" Will was very confused as he asked this.

"No, not 'Sir Gilan' and not 'Sir sir' either. One sir will do." Gilan almost couldn't contain the smile any more.

Will gave a confused sigh and just didn't speak.

"Joking Will, joking." Gilan grinned as Horace and I burst out laughing.

"I knew that." Will muttered angrily. Gilan was just trying to male Horace feel more comfortable.

Later that day when we set up camp, Gilan said it was time for lessons. For a while, he worked with Will on ranger techniques.

Then he looked at Horace, who was clearly enjoying watching Will work.

"Ok, now your turn." Gilan told him.

"Me? Why do I need to learn ranger skills?" Horace asked. I rolled my eyes at my brother's ignorance.

"Not ranger skills. Fighting skills." Gilan said, drawing his sword.

"Ok?" Horace replied uncertainly, standing and drawing his sword as well.

"Try to take off my head, and don't hesitate. We don't have all day." Gilan ordered.

Horace gave a half hearted swing that Gilan blocked easily.

"Come on, is that all you got?"

Horace then started swinging random, full strokes, trying to break Gilan's defense.

"How... in... the... world... did... a... ranger... like... you... learn... to... fight... with... a... sword... so... well?" Horace asked, gasping for breath.

"I was trained by one of the best. You might recognize the name MacNeil." Gilan said.

"The MacNeil?" Horace and I exclaimed.

"Yes, the sword master." Gilan sighed.

"Who is this MacNeil character?" Will asked.

"You've never heard of MacNeil?" Horace exclaimed.

"No, but I'll make tea if anyone is willing to tell me about him." Will said. Typical Will, anything for his caffeine.

While Horace and Gilan were explaining who MacNeil is to Will, I was off in my own world.

I still felt bad for leaving George again. I just need to prove that girls aren't as weak as they are made out to be. I also need to prove I'm different. George knows this, he just doesn't like it. I miss him already,  and it's only been a day. I was sitting on a rock a few meters away from the others when Will came to talk to me.

"You sure you're ok?" he asked.

"Yeah, I just know George hates it when I leave like this. He frustrated with something other than the trip as well. Plus, I think there is a jealosy issue." I whispered, not wanting to talk loudly.

"George, jealous? Of who?" Will asked in shock.

"You and Gilan."

"Why would he think that, we're just friends. Besides, secretly, Gilan likes Jenny."

"You need to stop poking around in people's personal lives Will. It's going to get you in trouble."

"No it won't. George doesn't care that I found out and told you."

"Yes, but Gilan isn't George."

"Point taken, but this isn't about me. When are you going to tell him how you feel?"

" I'm not sure how I feel! Why do you care? After all, what advice can you give me, because you won't tell Alyss anything! Gilan won't tell Jenny,  and Horace, well, he's Horace."

"You have a point. Well, I tried."

Once he walked away, I just sat there for a little while longer.

I really needed to sort out these feelings.