The Ranger's Gathering

The next morning, Rodney came to talk to me at breakfast... Again.

"You and your brother are done with lessons untill next year. You have no more required classes."

"Does that mean that I can go with Will and Halt to the gathering?"

"If they are up to dealing with you."

"YAY!! Wait... That's not very nice!"

"Never claimed to be."

After I ate, I told Horace he could take his optional classes now, and he told me that Alda, Byrn, and Jerome were banned from Redmont, because they attacked Will.

"How bad are Will's injuries?"

"A couple of bruises,  but that's it."

"Oh good. There was one kid they beat up that couldn't walk for a month."

I left for Halt's cabin right after. When I knocked on the door, Halt opened the door.

"Who are you?" he asked grumpily.

"My name is Cora." I replied brightly.

"Who is it Halt?" I heard Will yell from inside.

"Some girl by the name of Cora." Halt yelled back.

Will came running out saying, "Cora, what brings you here?" He also hugged me.

Halt cleared his throat loudly.

"Oh, Halt, this is my friend Cora from the Ward. She is Horace's younger sister." Will said.

I shook Halt's hand, and they invited me in.

"So Cora, why did you come?" Halt asked.

"Well, Will told me you guys are leaving for the Gathering soon."

"And?" Will asked.

"And Sir Rodney says I completed all the required classes, so he said I am free to do whatever till next semester."

"And what does that have to do with us?" Halt was getting impatient now.

"I wanted to know if I could come with you."

"What about George?" Will asked.

"He's always busy, like Alyss and Jenny. Horace is taking optional classes. I have nothing to do."

"How silently can you move?" Halt questioned.

"Halt, she has snuck up behind me before, without me or Tug noticing. I mean, we could tell someone was there, but we didn't know where." Will said quickly.

"Tug couldn't tell where she was? Ok, you can come." Halt said in shock. It is amazing how playing a revenge prank can be so helpful.

"Ok, when are we leaving?" I asked, now hyper.

"After lunch." Halt replied.

"Oh good, because today is the one day George actually can eat lunch with me. I'll go pack in about ten minutes, if it's ok I stay for a little while."

"It's fine, but Will, could I speak with you for a moment?" Halt demanded, for it was more of an order than a question.

When Will left the room, I could still hear them.

"Will, you are just friends, right?" Halt asked.

"Of course! If we weren't, Horace and George would kill me!"