chapter 18 part 3

**~~Alexi~~**

Alexi was watching Caitlin as she slowly snuck around his castle and as she made her way to the servant’s entrance. He’d seen her approach the main entrance and then she’d appeared lost until she decided to turn and go to the kitchens. He knew without a doubt that he’d been the reason for her redirection. She knew he was here. He’d caught sight of her just as she’d been making her way through the gates.

She was absolutely beautiful. The sun-kissed glow on her skin made her look far prettier than any of the pasty white women at court. They seemed to only come out into the sunshine under little umbrellas and large pompous hats. It was disgusting and apparently the fashion in London.  His wife would definitely not be pleased that he’d come.

He hadn’t planned on coming when the month was out but his mother and father decided that they missed Noelle terribly and their favorite spot to relax was Leighton. He’d not been told that this was the location of his missing wife and he’d held true to his word that he would allow Devlin one month.

The stress of being the Duke was definitely starting to wear Alexi down. He’d been mildly curious as to why Devlin had insisted that he accompany the carriages to Leighton. Now it made perfect sense. He’d been oblivious to it the entire time. Sneaky devil.

Alexi kept himself a good distance away from Caitlin as he followed behind her to see what she was up to. He had to try not to laugh as she seemed to grow more confident in her movements and from out of no where she developed a sort of sneaky tip toe walk. She finally came to the floor that the main stair case was on and she made her way quickly down the long hall and to the side of the wall. She peeked over the banister and he could barely contain himself by then. The woman was simply too much. If she really thought she was so stealthy he’d be sure to bring that down a notch. He pressed himself against the wall as well and slowly made his way down the hall. His wife again took up spying and then she seemed to have jumped and turned to look about frantically and finding nothing amiss, went back to spying. That’s when he made his move.

Wrapping his arms around Caitlin and quickly covering her mouth be bent low and whispered, “Did you miss me?”

**~~Caitlin~~**

Caitlin slowly got her heart to stop beating so rapidly before she elbowed Alexi in his stomach and she was surprised that he released her so quickly.

“Alexi!”

“Caitlin.”

“How dare you put your hands on me?” She hissed at him angrily.

“Wife, I have every right to put my hands on you anywhere that I please.”

“I’m not your wife.”

“You are my wife.”

“Not.” She argued.

He looked at her as if she had lost her mind and then threw back his head and laughed right in her face.

“You would fight me that the sky is blue if I told you it was so before you could say it yourself would you not?”

She sighed and crossed her arms over her chest. The man was impossible. “What are you doing here?”

“Madam, I believe I own this lovely castle in which you currently hold residence.”

“Ugh! I didn’t ask if you owned it you fool, I asked why you are here!”

“My parents wished to see the countryside. They needed some fresh air and we all decided to come and spend a little time in Leighton.” He answered her question as if it were the most obvious answer in the world and then said, “Might I ask a few questions of my own?”

She answered him with a wicked grin, “If it will make you leave faster, I will answer whatever you ask.”

“Why were you spying on my parents?”

“Your parents!” Caitlin shrieked loudly in his ear.

“Yes, My parents. You know, Mother. Father; Your in-laws?”

A sudden jolt of fear ran down her spine. “What if they hate me!”

“Caitlin, don’t be ridiculous. They love you. They’ve loved you since you were a child. Come downstairs and say hello.” With that he took hold of her elbow and began leading her to the stairs.

She fought to stay in place until she was forced to finally take a step down and as soon as she appeared at the top of the stairs the people below turned to look at her. She gave them her biggest brightest smile and then tipped her head towards Alexi slightly to whisper softly so only he could hear, “Please fall down the stairs.”