Chapter Twelve | I Actually Saw this one Coming (Almost)

Chapter Twelve

I Actually Saw This One Coming (Almost)

                  Staying at Stephan’s was chaotic. Gina was lovely, telling Noel all about how Gabriel, Stephan the others had grown up together, met through a demigod parent support group (something Noel thought very funny). Joanna and Harry were adorable and completely adored Noel, chatting to her all evening. Tim, Stephan’s step father, was a quiet man who enjoyed a good glass of chilled red wine and the funny papers.

The next morning Noel woke to an avalanche of stuffed animals that had fallen of Joanna’s bed above her. Her room for the night had been a mattress on the six year olds floor, and though it was perfectly comfortable, Noel had not slept well.

Though she hadn’t dragged an injured Gabriel through a wasteland, or seen him bleeding in a snowy forest, she had dreamt of demonic birds. They had been terrifying, bronze beaks glinting as they dive bombed Noel, Gabriel and Stephen. Not thinking anything of it, she made Joanna and Harry breakfast, since no one else was up.

By ten the car was packed, Joanna and Harry had Noel in a death lock and Stephen was itching to go. He generally didn’t stay in the country much, and lived with his grandmother in the city and came back on weekends and holidays.

“Makes monster fighting a whole lot easier,” he’d said to Noel, who had only stared at him in horror.

Gabriel had sent him a glower and aimed a wrench at his head “Shut it Ballard, or I’ll stick you in the trunk. Noel’s new to this stuff, give her time.”

As they pulled out of the driveway and sped away from Amityville, Stephan stretched out along the back seat “Glad to be out of there!” he said happily, digging around in the cooler “Do we have any jerky?”

“Here.” Noel handed him hers “It’s all I ate yesterday besides your Mum’s casserole, and all we have left is the real stuff, not tofu. I’m sick of it.”

Gabriel chuckled “Get used to it Angel, that’s road trip food. Its hard to be a vegetarian on a road trip.”

“And camp food.” Stephan spoke up “Camp food is like jerky, but in different forms and extra delicious.” He looked over at Gabriel, a rather wicked look coming over his freckled face “Hey Gabriel, why do you call Noel Angel anyway?”

“Long story.” He said, cheeks tinting pink.

Turning around in her seat, Noel frowned “I don’t know either – its Angel, Birdie or Neighbour. Personally I prefer my name, but I can’t sway him.”

“I mostly stick with Angel.” said Gabriel, turning off the highway “I did find her sprawled across my front lawn, you know.”

It was Noel’s turn to blush as they sped along a country road, completely deserted except for them. “I fell.”

“Ahh, I get it!” Stephan said “Fallen Angel! Am I right Gabriel?”