Chapter Thirty-One | Going Home

Dedicated to those who have been reading since the start and have stuck with me and Noel's quirky habits, personalities and updating schedules. 

I hope you continue to adore Noel and her adorkable personality in Part II

Chapter Thirty-One

Going Home

            The blue and red sirens startled them. It was still rather early, but they all gathered in the front hall sleepy and concerned.

“What’s going on?” asked Constantine.

“I hope you four are good actors,” said Grandma Ethel. “Or we’re in deep trouble.”

“What did you do Grandma?” asked Noel, a hiccup following her question.

The old lady wrapped her housecoat tightly around he and pinched her cheeks, looking oddly calm. “I called the police. We need an explanation for his poor aunt and uncle.”

“You could have prepared us!” cried Lola as the cop car came into view, slowing down in front of the house.

“ You needed to seem surprised. Now, Gabriel went missing last night, said he would go for a walk as soon as you got here and didn’t come back. It was around midnight last night; he was wearing that blue jacket and that ridiculous pom-pom hat. Got it?”

“But –” they all said together.

“We didn’t realize he wasn’t here until this morning. Tears on boys and girls.”

With that she opened the door before the officers could even knock. “Good morning Officer Brock, Officer Dundas.”

Officer Brock was a sturdy, pot-bellied man, his partner a stern looking young woman, her hair scraped back. “Good morning Mrs. Bennett, thanks for calling.”

“Of course Officer. This is my granddaughter Noel and her friends Constantine, Stephan and Lola.”

Officer Dundas spoke up, her voice low and authorative. It reminded Noel of Gabriel’s voice somehow, the way it could stun you into silence. “We would like to get a statement from each of the kids Mrs. Bennett – alone.”

Grandma Ethel nodded. “Of course Officer Dundas. How is your little boy by the way? Did you and your husband have a good Christmas?”

Officer Dundas seemed to soften. “It was very nice, thank you Mrs. Bennet. I’d like to speak to your granddaughter first, is that alright.”

“I’ll take the red headed one, Marian.” Said Officer Brock, and Stephan shot him a dirty look.

“You can have the living room Officer Dundas, Officer Brock, follow me to the dining room. Would either of you like tea?”

After politely declining Officer Dundas followed Noel into the living room. She sat stiffly on the pink Victorian couch whole Noel settled into her favourite armchair. “State your full name, age and address of current residence, please.”