Chapter Forty-Seven || Hades Fucks Shit Up

Chapter Forty-Seven

Hades Fucks Shit Up

          Hades was made of black, billowing robes. In his hands he held a skull, small – like a child's. Behind him, the Fates gathered around Persephone, who wore white; a blazing beacon in the red swathed world below the earth. Noel pleaded at her with her eyes, begging her.

Help us, she thought, please.

"Sorry to interrupt," Hades drawled, picking his way across the island. "But I've got a prophecy to complete, and I need you two to do so. I hope you had a nice chit chat," he held out his bony hands. "Because its time to, well – die."

Gabriel struggled against the chains, pleading. "Father, please –"

"Hush, Gabriel." His eyes did not leave Noel.

"Just let her go Father. There's no need to drag her into this."

"Oh but there is. I have waited a long time to find a descendant of Cassandra," he jerked her chin up forcefully. "I thought you'd be prettier, your ancestors always were. Pity."

"Don't touch me." Spat Noel, yanking her head away. "Why would you do this, and to your own son?"

Hades chuckled. "Well, I needed him. You see child, I have lived beneath all of the earth for many millennia now." He opened his arms wide, still holding the skull, motioning to the cold desert he ruled over. "With your blood, I will be able to overthrow Thanatos and his siblings, and the whole world will live down here, under my rule. My brothers will have nothing."

"Why don't you just ask?" Noel blurted.

"Stupid child, you don't just get what you want because you ask, say please – no, the world is not fair." He petted her hair, and Noel shrunk back. "Now, lets get to it. Where are the others?"

Guards, rotten flesh hanging from their bones and smelling so foul Noel gagged, brought Constantine, Stephan and Lola forward. They were dropped into the shallow pool, all chained together.

"Gabriel, Noel!" Lola shouted struggling to free herself.

"Shut her up, will you?" Hades demanded, setting the skull down and pulling out a long, glinting knife. "Persephone, your assistance."

Persephone moved forward, blood soaking the bottom of her dress. "How may I help, my lord?"

"Her arm, hold it out."

Persephone kneeled by Noel, taking her arm carefully. "I'm sorry." She whispered. "Really I am."

"Help us." Noel begged as Hades stared out across the pool, lost in thought.

"I can't." she began to cry. "I would, but –"

"I've been waiting a long time for this." Hades interrupted her. "This pool is made up of every sacrifice ever made to me, you know. And it wouldn't work unless the blood of my own son, his Niasyn, and a gifted reincarnation were sacrificed as well. Luckily, Miss Lewis kills two birds with one stone, how lucky."

Gabriel's gaze was steely as he watched Hades play with the knife. "I'm not sacrificing myself to you."

"No, but they are." He pointed the blade at Constantine. "Come here boy."

Constantine shook his head, refusing; guards shoved him forward, and he landed roughly on his knees, letting out a cry. "I won't do it." He coughed as the guards undid his chains so his hands were free. "I won't."

"I don't need your consent." Hades sneered, and suddenly Constantine was reaching for the knife.

"What – no – stop it!" he fought against his own movements, but it couldn't be helped. He had the knife and was holding it to Noel's outstretched arm. "Noel –"

"It's okay Constantine." Noel choked; she was trying not to sob, useless since the tears were already pouring down her face. "It's okay."

"It's not." He glanced at Gabriel as the knife tip pierced her skin. "Gabe..."

"Don't." Gabriel was crying, too. The tears made streaks in the dirt and blood covering his face, and he looked past Constantine to Noel. "Hey, don't worry."

"I would worry if I were you." Said Hades idly, holding the skull to catch the blood as it dripped from Noel's arm. She clenched her jaw as Constantine made a long, parallel slit down her arm; soon the blood was pouring from the wound, and she began to see stars.

"Now him." Hades motioned to Gabriel, and Persephone dropped Noel's arm with a sob.

Noel slumped to the ground, her head hitting something with a thud. Looking up, her gaze cloudy, she could just make out Gabriel trying not to cry out, Constantine looking as if he wanted to just die right then.

The world began to shrink and grow even colder; it felt as if frost was forming across Noel's body. She hoped it was pretty, and slowly she slipped away.

Everything was bright and pallid inside her head, and she struggled to open her eyes. Gabriel's voice was a faint whisper.

"Everything will be okay."

A woman was standing amongst the white, almost blending in. The light was so bright Noel almost couldn't see her; was she in a dream? Was this what happened before you were sent off somewhere?

"Cassandra."

The woman smiled. She had the most brilliant red hair, and looked like Grandma Ethel did in old photos. "Smart girl. I knew you'd be smart, my girls always are."

"What do I –?"

"Everything will be okay, Noel." Cassandra walked over and raised her hand, brushing her face. "This is not the end of the line."

"Wait, Cassandra..." but Noel was getting sleepy, and the brightness was fading, the pain was coming back in full force.

"Everything will be okay." She said, for the last time. "You are, after all, my descendant. Be brave, Noel Lewis, be brave."

A/N: Okay, so yeah, it's been 3 months. Sorry. My only excuse is shit happened, and I didn't want this to suck. So hopefully you don't think this sucks. I did my best.

Question: What lies at the end of this adventure for Noel and the gang? 

Again, sorry. 

Rose