Chapter 3: The Adversary

She turned to the man and answered, "Yes?"

He was wearing a Gucci suit that only gave him a powerful look. His intense grey eyes were focused on hers right now. Somehow they matched his thick and rich black hair. Well-styled, she remarked. Her judgement passed like a flash through her mind.

Good. He had her attention. "Let's talk business...if you dare."

Chase Decker, she mentally acknowledged as she made the little wine in her glass spin. So he knew how to play with words! If you dare... If she would refuse right now, it would only mean that she was not daring and saying that to him would mean her defeat.

She firmly said, "Have a seat."

In his peripheral vision, Chase saw a waiter coming in their direction. He abruptly held her arm, ignoring the sudden thrill that rushed in his body at the contact, took the glass from her hand and placed it on the waiter's tray.

With a firm pull, he made her stand on her feet. He smirked as annoyance flashed through her impassive eyes. "Let's dance and talk."

Without waiting for her answer, he effortlessly dragged her to the dance floor, gave her such a tug that fixed her perfectly against his chest.

He was fast, she silently acknowledged, but not fast enough to manipulate her. She felt his arm daringly curving her waist, provoking a rush of madness inside her but she kept calm...for now. His eyes challenged her.

He was waiting to see a disapproving look on her face but instead her lips curved into a smile.

She knew she surprised him at that moment. She cooperatively held his shoulder and allowed him to lace his rough fingers amidst her delicate ones. She focused on his eyes, ignoring the closeness which was in a way, disturbing her, "Are you trying your luck with me, Decker? Tell me...who made the bet?"

Darn. Chase was slightly moved but he did not show it. So, she was smart too, and she was probably aware that she drew attention though she didn't seem to care or appreciate that a considerable of men were naturally attracted to her.

He, in contrast, was not attracted.

He wanted to see till where was his seduction expertise limited. Not that he doubted himself though... She had disregarded many but he did not let her reject him. "People are afraid to lose to me, sugar. There was no bet."

Without warning, he swirled her around and pressed her back against him. His hands traced her arms, her hips and rested in front of her, trapping her.

He smelt a faint scent of coffee around her or was he imagining?

She realized, they were drawing attention. Instinctively, she leaned backwards and asked, still keeping the beats with him, "I'm waiting, you know?"

"I want to know more about your boss. Tell me about her." His warm breath brushed against her hair in an intimate way.

Now his sentence got her thinking. What game was this man really playing? She exaggerated, "My boss?"

He spun her again so that they returned to their previous position, face to face, hand in hand, "In case, you've got memory loss due to my presence, look at the woman speaking to Carlo Forcci. She's your boss."

She gazed at Clover and Carlo who were seated across each other at a table. One single possible explanation: Chase confused her with Clover.

She laughed softly; finally jewelry probably made the difference. He might have thought that the CEO of Gemstones was Clover since she had all those ornaments on her. "I can see that. You wanted to talk business, right?"