Prologue

After she finished polishing the several metal parts that had completely cooled down hours ago, she got herself ready to assemble the bits.

She was working on a duchess' jewelry. Her colleagues left their work for a moment and watched her. How could they not? Her hands were steady as she manipulated the torch to solder the miniature pieces of gold and platinum. Steady and yet, smooth.

Caringly, she gave all her attention to what she was creating. Her accuracy was effortless and incredible. She was oblivious to the charmed gazes or to the noises around her. There was only her and her creation.

Her mobile phone on her desk rang twice but she paid no attention. She knew, as a matter of habit, that one of her colleagues would answer to it. She was almost done.

Holding a pair of tweezers in her hand, she drew a box closer and with her amber eyes, she searched for the perfect diamond to fit in the bracelet. She delightfully found it and she lowered it to the almost completed jewelry.

That diamond was the icing on the cake. Her masterpiece was almost done. An intricate golden diamond bracelet with the duchess's initials.

She could remember the extravagant description the duchess had given her, "I want it to be an ornament that's worth Greek goddesses. I want it to be as light as a feather and distinct. I want it to be so unique that it would be impossible to create imitations. I want a masterpiece!"

She had knocked the right door as Eva Sanders only created masterpieces. And with days of hard work, she had met all the criteria of the duchess.

"Eva! Your father had a heart attack!" The tweezers trembled for a second between her fingers but she firmly maintained the diamond in it.

She was shaken. What the bloody hell did she just heard?

She put down her tool and snapped as she rose, "If this is a joke, it's not funny."

She glared at her colleague who was holding her mobile phone. Then, she noticed his serious face and the shocking looks of everyone else. He was not lying, she realized with sudden fear.

"Your mother called. She's at the hospital with your father right now."

She was enraged he was playing with her. Her father, Andreas Sanders, the great CEO of Gemstones Corp had a heart attack!? This was purely ridiculous. He was just fine the day before. She dashed towards the exit, heading for the parking.

When she reached the hospital, she was startled to see a crowd of reporters with their microphones and cameras, all trying to get access to a certain room.

A knot formed in her throat and she swallowed convulsively. This was real. How was her father? Where was he?!

She noticed one of his bodyguards and signaled to him. She pushed her way across the media people and she drew their attention enough to be recognized.

Questions were hurled at her and she felt herself unable to move forward as they surrounded her, shoving their microphones at her.

"Eva Sanders, what is the reason behind your father's heart attack?" She herself did not know and she wanted to see him, damn it.

"Are the rumors about the divorce between your parents real?" What? He couldn't possibly be serious?

"Your father's lawyer, Martin Hendricks announced you will take the commands of the company until Andreas Sanders' recovery. What can you say about that?"

She tried to control the emotions within her, "I...I have nothing to say." She was completely unaware. What could she say about this? Darn all of them.

She ignored them and motioned towards the bodyguards and they managed with difficulty to get her to trespass the crowd.

"Where is he?"

"In the ICU, miss."

Intensive Care Unit. The fear grew greater. How did all this happen? She was running towards the room.

She was confused and lost. She halted in her steps as she saw her mother sitting outside the room, her head buried in her hands.

"Mom! Mom..."

Joanna instantly rose and flung her arms around her daughter, crying even more, "Eva...it's my fault. The doctors said it was...critical...and he might not...might not..."

Eva hushed her. There was only one thing to do and that was praying.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Good news, sir. Switch on the radio."

His intercom buzzed and he heard his secretary's voice.

"Come and do it yourself, Susan."

Seated in his bureau, Chase Decker, CEO of rival business, GoldLuxe Corp, listened to the news after his secretary tuned it to the correct frequency.

She took a seat opposite him and crossed her legs, "Sanders had a heart attack."

He was surprised. Who would have thought that luck would be by his side? This was good for the business but for him, it was not a news that one should be happy with, he was not pleased about it. Who would?

Andreas was an influential and a good man. No one could deny this. Chase leaned back in his chair as he listened to the reporter who was interviewing Andreas's lawyer.

He was shocked as he heard him. Andreas' daughter as the CEO by interim?

Hell! They were putting a woman at the head of that huge company? That lawyer was crazy to have announced this but he realized that it should have been the wish of Andreas himself.

He did not think Eva Sanders would be that great to compete with. This was an opportunity. Till the man would recover, his own business would become much more profitable and productive than it already was.

Eva Sanders could try all she want but he would be merciless as he had always been.

It was crazy to put this expert jewel designer at the head of Gemstones Corp and he would see how she would manage. He would watch every of her moves. She was a prey and he was the hunter.

"Switch it off. That designer as the CEO. Foolish. Have I met her or not?"

He stared directly at his secretary. She shifted uneasily. She was never used to answer these types of questions when he asked her.

She cleared her voice several times, "No, you haven't dated any woman by the name of Eva..."

He smiled sinfully, "Yet."

She added, "Yet."

God, sometimes she wondered what would have happened if she would have met this man before her husband.

He appeared to be thinking and so, she waited.

He frowned, "Vogue cites her as the best jeweler and she works for Sanders. She should have been working here! I always want the best."

"Err, logically sir, she would have never worked here since she's Andreas's daughter."

"Oh she would have! Have you ever known any women who said no to me?"

She sighed. He had such a male ego.

Chase chuckled, "Anyway, I can firmly tell you, Susan...designing jewelries and managing the whole business are two different things. She would break down after a day or two and they will have to find someone worth controlling Gemstones."

"If I were you, I will not underestimate her. She's a Sanders after all and we both know, that they are all damn good."

And with that, she exited his office, leaving the man thinking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
01/12/16