Chapter 2

Chapter two

Cayson looked over at his brother, the accident never should have happened. If Cayson had followed through with his plans, then they wouldn't even be here right now. There would be no reason for Camden to suffer for the rest of his life.

"You saved my life big brother, now who is going to save yours?" Cayson swallowed hard. His father would really be ashamed of how things had turned out. Cayson fought against the anger that burned in his veins. Joe Peterson had ended up walking out on Camden and Cayson, he'd expected that the two boys would be able to keep the farm together and still be able to manage to be normal boys. Like Joe hadn't taken away their chance for normality the moment he had stepped out of their lives. Still, Cayson couldn't help but wonder what the man was up too? Was his life any better than what it had been when they had been a family? Had he found someone else to replace the family he already had? Or was he still the same old mean man, who didn't have enough room in his heart to love both the boys he had.

Joe Peterson had walked out of their lives two years ago, when Cayson was 17 and Camden 19. to be honest Cayson hadn't been sorry to see him go, because the man had caused him more pain than anyone should have had to deal with, Joe had been the reason that Cayson had nearly killed himself. Even though the man was no longer around to taunt Cayson with his inability to be just like Camden, Cayson refused to stop partying and drinking. Which led to the current strained relationship between the brothers. Cayson had never wanted to be a disappointment, it had never been his goal in life to be the screw up that no one loved. It was just the way it had turned out, despite what his brother had told him that the greatest lie ever told was that Cayson was unlovable. Cayson still believed it, still got drunk to forget who he was.

Right now things were difficult for the brothers, Cayson had been fired from yet another much needed job, because he had shown up drunk. His manager, Steve of course, had been thrilled to fire him. No one liked him, or even pretended too. The more badly people treated him, the more Cayson hated himself and the more he drunk. Unlike Camden, he cared too much about what people thought about him. In the end, his getting fired and getting drunk, and led to the fight that Cayson and Camden had gotten into. That had led to the current hospital situation, Camden had given up a lot for Cayson. Just so they could stick together as a family, Camden had given up his football scholarship and had stayed in Jamestown and had gotten a job.

Lord, knows Camden had tried to keep Cayson out of trouble, but Cayson had been determined to find it, and it usually wasn't hard. Cayson thought that if people thought he should be a certain way then why not act the way they expect him too? He'd be living up to their expectations after all.

Sighing Cayson, looked over at Camden. His brother's bruised and swollen face, made his heart hurt. After everything that Camden had done for Cayson, for things to end this way for his older brother it hurt it heart. If Cayson hadn't been determined to drink his depression away, maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Resting his head in his hands, Cayson rubbed at his eyes. He could still hear his father screaming about what a disappointment Cayson was, and in that moment, waiting beside his brother Cayson truly believed he was the loser everyone thought he was.

7th grade year

13 year old Cayson grunted as his 15 year old brother threw the football as hard as he could. Cayson thought practicing football was pointless, he wasn't like Camden, he wasn't a natural. There was no way he would make the football team. And in a town that thrived on football that kind of sucked. Cayson hated football and he wished he could tell his father that, but the former college star wouldn't take no for an answer. Joe Peterson's boys would both play football. He wouldn't have it any other way,