Chapter 2: Hard Breaks

CHAPTER 2

HARD BREAKS

ANA POV

Ashton and Avon started to speak as soon as were alone but I raised my hands and they closed their mouths. Sighing, I pulled my hair into a ponytail as Ashton poured tea into a tea cup. I ignored her and stormed out the back door into the fenced in backyard just as a horn blew outside and Avon grabbed her book bag and dashed out to meet it. 

I went straight to the twenty foot tree at the back of the yard and started climbing till I reached my perch near the top of the tree. This was always where I went when I needed to calm down. I didn't have to worry about anyone else bothering me because only Ax and Anvil would dare climb up here and I knew they'd leave me be for now.  

"Why wouldn't Ashton and Avon climb up here?" I jerked and would have fallen off my perch if the man hadn't grabbed me around the waist. Scowling he released me as I glared and leaned back against the tree. 

"How did you even get up here without me hearing...?" I raised an eyebrow as he nimbly leapt from branch to branch until he was at the very top then he climbed back down to sit next me.

"Never mind." He smiled, the first one I'd seen on his face, then spoke. 

"So..." I shrugged and leaned my head back and closed my eyes. 

"Not that it's any of your business but Ashton is afraid of heights and Avon doesn't climb very well with one arm. Now, you want to tell me your name?" I opened my eyes to look at him as he smirked. 

"Zakionas."  

"I'm not calling you that." I pressed my lips together and thought for a minute. 

"Zak that's what I'll call you. Now you want to tell me what the hell is going on with the ears? Oh, and try keeping your hands to yourself this time." He rose to a crouch and leapt down to a lower branch. 

"No promises but let us go talk with the others. I'll meet you in the kitchen, my little wildfire." I rolled my eyes as I clambered down the tree. At least it was better than little girl.

...............

Ten minutes later we were all sitting around the kitchen table with cups of tea as Ashton hovered at the edges. Shoving Ax out of the seat to my left I glanced at Ashton. 

"Sit down for goodness sakes your driving me nuts. At least Ax will just scowl in the corner and not flutter around like a maid, making sure we're all comfortable." Zak coughed and spoke up. 

"My name is..." He paused and looked at me. "...Zak." I grinned and slouched back in my chair as he started to speak again. "So it used to be that all the Sidhe and other super naturals or Nats lived together but then the Sidhe's Prophet had a vision. She said that a Banshee and a Diha, a Sidhe warrior, would have a child. That child would be half Banshee-half Sidhe which in itself is unheard of."  

"Is that bad?" His eyes met mine as he sighed.