Epilogue

A/N- This chapter is dedicated to every reader who has voted, commented, or simply read this story. Thank you so much!!! :)

************************************************************************************************

Esme's POV

Sometime after all hell came loose, and the supernatural world as we knew it exploded into chaos, my people and I were in the midst of picking up the broken pieces of a war that was never supposed to happen when it was agreed upon by my Elders that I could finally be told the details of the prophecy they had stubbornly insisted on keeping hidden from me. When I discovered this I was so disgusted in them all for endangering Caleb and Cat's lives the way they did that at first I did not want to hear it. Why would I, if all I would be able to think about afterwards would be the many ways in which I could have prevented the Queen's death, Caleb's near-death, Maxwell's death?

If our main purpose was to prevent a war, and we had a large amount of foresight in the matter, why didn't we do just that?

But of course, I knew the answer to my inquiry. It was already written-the war was always destined to happen, because that was the only way it would lead to Cat becoming Queen of her Kingdom and Caleb...

Well, Caleb was awake now, to everyone's relief. I hadn't been able to see him, although I was the one who called Cat to give her the news the morning after Nathan had called me late at night, near-hysterical on the other end of the line. I couldn't face any of them; not yet, not with what I knew now.

The events that the extensive prophecy had depicted had come and gone as the months had passed, yet there was still one more thing-one domino left to fall-before everything could come into place the way it was always supposed to, like the shifting and fitting of pieces of a puzzle.

And I felt it that morning of Caleb's revival, like a stirring in the frosty air. Yes, I could almost see it then-like a farway light that was slowly drawing nearer and nearer while an unseen force propelled one forwards, into a new world, a new life where the fall of one would lead to the rise of another, and the completeness of this epic change, this realignment of stars, this fundamental shift in political relationships, finally yielded its intended effects.

I could see it all now.

There.

♥¤════════════════¤۩۞۩ஜஜ۩۞۩¤═══════════════¤♥

Caleb's POV

The day that I woke up from my coma was the day that I discovered just how much my parents cared about me.

I felt completely disoriented that night that I awoke in my hospital room with Nathan; I had no idea where I was, how I had gotten there, why my body felt like a sack of potatoes, or why I was wearing an extremely unomfortable hospital gown with tubes running from my nose and wrist. The urge to vomit was strong, followed by the hunger, but the confusion was stronger than both.

Awakening from a coma months after your final conscious moments is something that is hard to wrap your head around, mainly because you feel as if the time between those moments and now has passed in the span of a blink- as in, one moment you're lying on the floor of a study in excruciating pain and the next you're in a dark room that smells like medicine, basically naked beneath your thin gown. That blink was snatched up by the coma and frozen in time, stretched out into the wide span of many months so that by the time I came to, the landscape outside was blanketed in pure white snow, a series of weeks wedged between what I knew then and what I knew now.