Chapter Twelve

Adrianna's POV

The first thing I noticed once I regained consciousness was that there was something tickling my nose.

With a groan, I slapped it out of the way and the tickling was replaced by something wet and sticky. All over my face.

What the hell?

I heard a snicker somewhere behind me and that was when my eyes shot open, only to be closed again by a bright blinding light that caused my head to throb in pain. I winced and squinted past the light, seeing through it until the blurred edges of my vision cleared out. I saw three faded, shadowy figures towering over me and was immediately reminded of the Soul Eaters.

"Get away..." I moaned, and struggled to get up. I felt some sort of liquid slowly slip down my cheeks and onto my throat. "You're all... you're all monsters."

A deep chuckle rang about inside my ears and I froze.

Wait a second, I thought. Soul Eaters don't chuckle...

"Bad dream?" I heard a voice I vaguely recognized say distantly. It echoed around in my eardrums as I struggled to recall where I had heard it.

Then my vision began to clear out. The three shadows expanded and contracted into each other, overlapping until they became one clear, glorious image. And I swear-if I was a creature with a beating heart, it would have stopped in that moment.

The bright white kitchen light behind him illuminated his shadowed image and gave him a god-like glow. In all his holy glory, he stood there staring at me with his head cocked to the side and an amused expression playing on the corners of his soft lips. His eyes glowed brilliantly-two pools of liquid topaz-and he wore a clean white t-shirt that contrasted with his softly-tanned, muscled arms. His dark brown hair was gently tousled as if he had just rolled out of bed, and I felt the sudden urge to reach out and touch its plush-looking tips.

"Um," He cleared his throat and I snapped out of my trance. "I suggest you check what's on your face before it dries up."

"Caleb?" I whispered in disbelief.

"Yeah," he replied simply, and gave me crooked yet sheepish smile. I pursed my lips.

He wasn't adorable. I would not let myself think he was the most gorgeous thing I'd ever seen.

"But seriously..." he said; obviously try very hard not to laugh. He pointed at me. "Your face."

I raised my hand to my face and my fingers immediately touched something cold. I pulled away and I felt the brown substance stick to my fingers like glue. It was all over my left hand.

"What... the... hell?" I said angrily, standing up from what I realized was very comfortable blue sofa-the same one Caleb had carried me to on the night I got attacked by the group of Soul Eaters. I swayed in my for a few moments, feeling woozy until I regained my footing.

Reality hit me then like a ton of bricks. Bricks that obviously decided to land on my head because it couldn't keep from throbbing against my temples.

Stupid hangover.

Caleb keeled over and began to laugh hysterically.

"Would you like some waffles with that?" he gasped. I gave him a death stare.

Suddenly images of the day before came rushing back without warning. King Alexandru. My selfish deal with him. The stupid werewolf that was nowhere in sight. I wished I could have permanently forgotten that part.

Then, the party. The two boys at the main entrance. The dancing. The humans everywhere. The dozens and dozens of drinks I forced down my throat. And then-