Chapter Twenty-One

Adrianna's POV

"So, why was it you said you're so cold all the time?" Caleb asked me as he leaned against the locker next to mine and eyed me. He knew exactly why, I had told him just now during first period. He just wanted me to repeat it, probably because he couldn't believe it. Like when you hear something surprising and have to make sure you heard it right by hearing it a second time.

"I told you," I said with a frown, fiddling with the lock of my locker. I pulled it down after twisting it around for the right combination before opening it. I hated having to say it again because lying to Caleb felt so wrong. I couldn't even begin to explain way, just like every other emotion I felt about him lacked any proper justification as well. However I did what I had to do in order to protect my identity and ultimately his life. I had done my research the night before, preparing for a question just like this.

"I'm anemic, which means my body is low on hemoglobin and blood, therefore it requires iron supplements in order to maintain itself. One of the side effects of being anemic is having cold skin and being pale."

"Huh," he said thoughtfully, taking my textbook from my hands the moment I took it out of my locker. "That's why I'll never become a doctor. Too many illnesses to memorize."

I watched as a string of students floated by, some going up the halls and others going down as they walked to their next class. It was obvious that many of them were talking about us by the looks they kept throwing our way but I ignored them. Caleb did, too. There seemed to be some sort of unspoken agreement between us regarding us publicly being together: we didn't care what anyone thought about it.

"What do you want to be?" I asked him, surprised that I was actually genuinely curious.

"Ah, I dunno..." Caleb said, squinting off into the distance and tilting his head. I fought the urge to trace the strong edge of his jaw with my fingertips. "I like working with animals so maybe a vet or something. But I also like math so maybe an engineer since it pays more."

I could tell by the way he said it that it was a nonchalant statement, yet it fascinated me. I never had to consider making choices for my future-the future was pretty much unchanging, just like my body. I was going to rule over Marandici Kingdom someday. It was engraved in stone the moment I was born.

I turned back to close my locker, and as I stared at it I was suddenly reminded of something.

"How the hell did you get that balloon inside here the day you pranked me?" I asked him suspiciously. I hadn't even realized how impossible the prank would have been without knowing my lock combination. I was too red with anger that day to consider anything else other than wanting to severely hurt Caleb.

Caleb's eyes glinted with amusement as he smiled mischievously. "Secret."

I gaped at him, surprised that he was not being open with me.

"But I'm your girlfriend," I protested, the word girlfriend feeling foreign as it rolled out of my tongue and shaped my lips in a new way.

He shrugged and knitted his brows, still looking at me playfully. "So?"

"So you're supposed to tell me things like that," I finished. It was times like this I wished he could be compelled.

"I don't have to tell you anything I don't want to." Caleb was grinning now, clearly enjoying my annoyed reaction.

"Come on! That's so unfair, you jerk," I whined, resisting the urge to stamp my foot like child. Caleb's topaz eyes softened at my words along with his smile, giving him an expression that made it seem like he found me to be endearing. Before I could utter another word, he raised his hand up to my chin, brushing my bottom lip with his fiery thumb and enflaming it with his touch.