¡Koshary!

Egyptian.

- - - - - - - -

“Banish the onion from the
kitchen and the pleasure flies with
it” – Elizabeth Robbins Pennell

- - - - - - - -

Ingredients.

*2tbsp olive oil.

*1 cup medium grain rice.

*1 cup Brown lentils.

*2 cups elbow macaroni.

*2 cups vegetable stock.

*1 garlic clove, quartered.

*1tsp cumin.

*1 bay leaf.

*1/2tsp salt.

*Salt to taste.

Sauce.

*2tbsp olive oil.

*1 small onion, diced finely.

*2 cloves garlic, finely minced.

*1 (15 oz) can unseasoned tomato sauce (tomato purée).

*2tsp baharat* spice blend.

*1/4tsp red chile flakes (optional).

*1tbsp red wine vinegar.

*salt and pepper to taste.

Crispy Onion Garnish.

*2 large onions, finely sliced.

*Oil for deep frying.

*1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans.

Preparation.

#-Heat 2tbsp of olive oil in a medium saucepan over med-high heat. Add the rice and fry it for 2mins, then add the vegetable stock. Bring it to a boil, decrease the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15mins or until the rice is cooked.

#-Rinse the lentils under cold water and add them to another medium saucepan with two cups of water. Add garlic, cumin, and bay leaf and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-30mins or until the lentils are tender. Once cooked, add the 1/2tsp salt and stir to combine. Strain any excess liquid if any.

#-Cook the macaroni according to package directions until al-dente.

#-Note; prepare the rice, macaroni, and lentils while the sauce is simmering and leave them covered in the pots to keep warm.

Sauce.

#-Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over med-high heat and add the onions. Cook until soft and translucent, about 5-7mins. Add the garlic and sauté until golden brown.

#-Add the tomato purée, baharat, salt and pepper to taste, Chile flakes (if using) and red wine vinegar. Bring it to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20mins, stirring occasionally.

Crispy Onions.

#-Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onions and fry until dark brown.

#-Using a slotted spoon, remove them from the oil and place them on paper towels to drain and cool.

#-Add the rice, lentils, and macaroni to a large bowl and toss to combine (or simply scoop out desired amounts of each onto the plate).

#-Sprinkle a little baharat over each portion and serve, topped with some of the spicy tomato sauce. Top with garbanzo beans, the crispy onions and another sprinkle of baharat.

#-Enjoy.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I LOVE Egyptian food......and they're so easy to make.

Baharat can be made at home, you might not find it in spice shops;..

I'll write the homemade recipe for the baharat when I write this recipe-Bahraini spiced chicken and rice (chicken machboos)-Next chapter I think.

Or whenever....

Let me know if you liked this recipe.....

Don't forget to 

♥Vote♥

♥Share♥

♥Comment♥

Gorgeous_Chaos_