octô

"Faster! Move it faster!" I shouted.

"Yes, m'lady."

Elise dragged out from the trunk of the van one of the two enormous boxes containing various kinds of toys and clothings. To my surprise, she did not lay her hands in lifting the second heavier box, rather she posed like a model in front of it. With a slight twirl of her fingers, the object moved by itself.

What the hell was that? Her hazel eyes gazed at me like I had said aloud my reaction in my mind. I strode on the wide rocky pathway of the two storey orphanage, evading her gaze and leading the way. I halted next to the door and a potted cactus, crossing my arms over my chest, impatient.

"Can you move faster? They're expecting me-" I glanced at my gold wristwatch. I added, "-now."

"Understood, m'lady."

I punctiliously scrutinized her graceful movement as she adroitly and hastily ascended one by one the heavy boxes normally like how it should be. She placed it on the pavement, sweeping off the hair covering her beautiful face. Her wavy red hair, glimmered from the sunlight.

Even though the boxes were heavy like a ton, I didn't see in her face that she gave an extra labor to it, though she needs to because of its weight is ten times heavier than her actual physique. No visible single sweat trickled down her face nor her forehead.

In the background, I heard a high pitched voice yelling my name.

"Antionette! You're here!" A woman wearing a religious habit, it's a black dress with a white collar and a matching white headdress, encapsulating her hair. She ran towards me with her flat sandals hitting the ground.

Giggling, she opens her arms, leaped her body to me, then hugged me like the end is near to come. I returned her asphyxiating hug, patting her back gently. Elise stowed the boxes in front of us. Soon after, she retreated beside me, her flowery redolence towered my expensive perfume.

"Oh my god! I miss you Nette! I haven't seen you for like a year!" She squealed, I think my tympanic membrane popped. Hopefully not.

"Please do not use the name of God in vain, Sister Karen." I uttered, remembering the words in the ten commandments we were forced to memorize during high school.

Sister Karen and I met ages ago when my father took me along with him here for his avocation of being a philanthropist, donating toys and clothes for orphans. Back then, I was seven years old while Karen, one of the orphans, is three years older than me. Despite of the age gap, it didn't hinder us to get along and be friends.

Through my frequent visits, our friendship lasted until the first few weeks of my freshman year. In the succeeding years we both became busy with studies and we barely have time to communicate. At a later time, I graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, while Karen joined a convent for nuns.

Primarily, I was shocked that my friend Karen had pursued to be a nun. Of all the other degrees she can choose from why did she chose to be a nun? According to her, god appeared in her dreams, telling her to serve the church. Thus she abides. Did I believe her phantasm? Seventy percent yes and thirty percent no.

Seventy percent for supporting her as a friend and thirty percent for skeptical beliefs in her religious beliefs. It's not that I'm against her religion, considering I as well before belong in the same religion. In the back of my mind there is a chunk of ambiguity and questions I cannot explain to myself nor share with other people. If god exists, why do shitty things happen to us?

Fool? She is not a fool. I respect her decision, whatever she is happy with, then so be it. I'm very happy and proud of her. I'm guessing that she is contended with her life. At least her dream came true, unlike me, unable to reach my dreams for the sake of my father.