I Hate the Boy I'm "Dating"

I stared at the set and the cameras trying to figure out how I would make this work. I hated that kid. Let me repeat that, HATED. Why were they making us do this? We don’t even live in the same country! My thoughts were broken by the sound of people quickly walking by, “And we’re back on in 5, 4, 3, 2, …” The lights flashed back on as I sat in my chair next to the local interviewer.

“Hello everyone! We have local singer/songwriter Danielle Marie here! How are you sweetie?” The interviewer politely asked.

“Great actually! Just getting ready for the holiday season! And you?” I smiled and just waited for the question to be asked.

“I’m doing great. So the first question that we want answered is one everyone has been asking as well! So, we hear you have a little boy toy?” In my mind as she said boy toy I was throwing up. But I just put on a fake smile and laughed a fake laugh.

“My ‘boy toy’? Yes. I am no longer single…” I just hoped his name didn’t have to come up.

“And we hear he’s British! How cute is that?! So want to tell us about him?” She questioned and I could tell they wanted to get to the bottom of this.

“Well,” I started off. Great, he was popping up everywhere. “His name is Harry Styles and he’s in the band One Direction from the UK X Factor. They didn’t win, but Simon eventually signed them. He’s a real…” there was what seemed like a long pause, “…a real sweetheart.” I ended it with another fake smile and the interviewer giggled.

“Well that’s adorable! He seems so sweet from what we’ve heard.” And as she said that, a picture of Harry and I popped up on the screen beside us. I wanted to cringe so badly… That trip to England was terrible, but I just smiled. “Isn’t that so cute!? You two look perfect!”

“Aw thanks…” was all I could say before she continues with more questions.

I got off that set and glared at my manager. “What’s wrong Danielle?”

“What do you think is wrong? I’m ‘dating’ an asshole!” I almost screamed as we got into the car.

“He’s not an asshole Danielle. Just give him a chance; come on…” She just sighed as we drove off to my apartment.

“You don’t even know!” I crossed my arms and slumped into my seat for the long drive home, “You weren’t even there when we met…” I said under my breath.

“Hey! I may be the closest thing to your mother, but I’m not going take that attitude. Now, I hate to say this, but you’ll be going back to England for a little visit and maybe a recording with the boys.” Her voice got quieter as she said each word. She knew exactly how much I did NOT want to go.

“Why!?” I whined.

“Look! Simon wants this for your publicity and they’re being nice enough to allow it so calm down and just do it! It helps!” I sighed and plugged in my headphones as I had a flashback of that first day.

~

I walked into the big meeting room to see Simon and my manager. “Danielle we need to talk to you…” they both had their arms crossed and I was extremely nervous. “Take a seat.” Simon looked through some papers and just set his binder down. “You need more publicity and we have a plan. As you know Simon also looks after a band in England named One Direction. You will be ‘dating’ Harry Styles from the band and we will be off to England next week to meet him.” At first I was a little excited; this would be fun having a British “boyfriend”. Oh I was so wrong…

------

Hey! So this is just a little story I started writing. Feedback? Sorry I haven't been writing a lot; I've been extremely busy and it's ridiculous... ): Oh and I've had this huge Harry Styles obsession lately... It's PRETTY bad :P