Fins: XChapter 16X

Chapter Sixteen

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 

          I woke up Monday morning dreading the day ahead. I had no incentive to to do anything with the news I was given over the weekend. Sighing, I slid out of bed and into my slippers. I headed over to my closet and inspected my array of choices. Something I always appreciated about my family’s wealth was the choices I always had. It also helped that my parents were in the fashion business.

          Being indecisive, I just picked out a light green jumper and comfy sandals. It was looking good without trying a bit. I just combed out my hair, letting it fall naturally today. I skipped makeup entirely, being too lazy to put any on. Eyeing myself in the mirror I tried to give myself a little pep talk. “Okay, you can do this. You can go to that school and take your classes without letting on to anybody that your scared shitless. Come on Brooke, you can do this.”

          With a quick breath I smoothed out my jumper and headed down stairs. Plastering a fake smile on my face I entered the kitchen. I hated when I made my mom worry, so I had to do everything in my power to make her think nothing was wrong after the weekend. As I pushed open the swinging door I was greeted by delicious scents. I walked over to the stove and hugged my mom from behind.

          Peering over her shoulder I inspected the works. A smile spread across my face when I saw the bacon sizzling in the pan. “Why good morning dear mother of mine!” I beamed at her. She let out a soft chuckle and continued her cooking. “I am not sure how to react to your sudden mood change, so I am just going to embrace it and hope you aren’t trying to ask for anything ridiculous because you know I would say yes.”

          I gave her another soft hug and headed over to the table, grabbing a glace of juice on the way. Using my horrible acting skills I said, “Now why would you assume such a thing!” She looked at me over her shoulder with a ‘come on, you and I both know you want something’ look. “Oh in that case” she began, “I guess I should just enjoy your happiness.” She rolled her eyes as she spoke, knowing something was up.

          I finally gave in. “Well, there may be something.” She looked at me, signaling to continue. “It would be awful nice if I got an extra strip of bacon, don’t you think?” she just stood there and looked at me before bursting out laughing. Turing off the stove she strode over to me with pan in hand. Picking up the bacon strips she carefully gave me 4 pieces instead of the usual two. I beamed up at her before gobbling them all down.

          “I swear,” she began, “I can just never figuring you teenagers out. You use that voice for the most random stuff. Here I am thinking you want a new phone or something. Nope, all you want is extra bacon.” She chuckled again before taking her own seat and eating with me. I just shrugged and finished my breakfast. I might as well try to make the rest of today just as good as the start.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

          It was finally lunch. The whole morning went completely downhill. Clover kept reminding me about my fate with her apologetic looks, I forgot to multiple assignments, and I got a paper assigned. I sighed as I entered the lunchroom, finally getting a chance to relax a bit. I eyed my selection for lunch, deciding on the spaghetti. I grabbed a closed water bottle and some chips before heading out to the usual lunch table.

          As I walked outside I was greeted by the familiar, comforting scent of salt water. Drinking it all in, I slowly made my way to my seat. What I wouldn’t give to just go for a swim right now. I really needed to loosen up a bit, but I knew it was way too dangerous. I set down my tray, still wrapped up in my thoughts of a nice swim.