Fins: XChapter 1X

Chapter One

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Let me tell you something. Moving to a new school every year gets old fast. I have been the new girl at school every year for the past…forever. I can’t even remember one year where I didn’t move that summer to a new place. Every summer it is the same thing. We move the end of June so we are basically unpacked by the first week of July (yep, we’ve done this so much it only takes us about a week to unpack…pathetic). Then, the rest of the summer is me being a loner because I don’t know anyone. I didn’t mind much when I was younger, but now I hate having to be alone in the three months that should be pure heaven.

          When I was younger I would just make some mud pies or something. I had Barbies to occupy myself when I was alone or a rock for all I cared. Now that I’m a teen, that has all changed. I don’t want to sit around alone reading a book or going on the computer all summer. I want to be out with people my own age enjoying my prime years. With all of this moving, it has gotten to the point where I don’t even bother to meet people during the school year. I know that once summer hits it will just be another heart break to have to leave a group that I have grown so close to. Now, I just stay clear of anyone that is a possible friend because I can’t take the hurt again.

          But why don’t I just start from the beginning. My name is Brooke Soule. I am thirteen years old and I currently live in Rhonaco, Florida. I moved here about a month and a half ago. This was the first time my parents let me choose where we went to. They get a list of towns to choose from to move to and they always just choose some random little landlocked town that I have never heard of.

          To be faire though, I have never heard of Rhonaco either, but since it was on the coast I thought it would be a better town than most. For once, my parents happily obliged to my suggestion. The summer here in Rhonaco has been interesting. It has been nice to go to warm, white beaches  that spread throughout the entire town. The town’s population is so small that you can have a stretch of beach all to yourself, even during the midday mayham of the little kids who want to splash the water and kick the sand in your eyes.

          Once I got my room all unpacked on the 4th day of my new life in Rhonaco, I went straight to a beautiful section of sand on the beach outside my house. All summer it felt like I lived in a little private resort. It felt as though the entire beach was mine to have forever. No one ever came down there so I had peace and serenity all summer. For the first time in a while I didn’t really feel lonely. It was as though having the ocean at my every whim calmed me and gave me hope. That was all I needed.

          But I never stepped foot in the water. I never touch water. As much as possible I stay away from what everyone says is precious h2o. Me and water have a…complicated relationship. I don’t know if you would call it a fear, I actually don’t know what you would call it. But all I know is that if I stay away it can’t harm me. So that’s what I do, every second of every day.

          I can’t really tell if my parents notice it though. I know my father doesn’t for sure. He is always gone at work or out scouting for new fashion trends. My parents work together opening small little boutiques with the weirdest fashions, yet it always looks phenomenal. Both of parents were fashion students and they met in a class. An owner of a small company talked to both of them a few months after they graduated and they became the company’s main to the public.

          They have to travel around opening new shops in small towns throughout the country. I don’t know why this guy from the company doesn’t just open a few in big cities, but my dad says that isn’t his vision. He wants to open these shops in small towns so that even the back roads of our country get the best fashions out there. That guy seems crazy for trying something like that but it has actually worked quite well.