Fins: XChapter 11X

Chapter Eleven

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

          I drained the tub, grabbing my towel. Lifting myself up above the wet bottom I began to dry off. Once I transformed back I grabbed my robe and walked in my closet. Looking through my rows of dresses, I decided on a silky lavender cocktail dress. The neckline had intricate lacing with a swooping arch and the bottom cut off mid-thigh.

          Laying it on my bed I went over to my vanity and started doing my hair. I tried out an up do, but I was never very talented with styling my hair. I ended up just blow drying it and leaving it down. I grabbed my foundation and began to apply my makeup.

          I slipped my dress or my head, looking in the mirror to evaluate my work. With a sigh I grabbed my purse and went downstairs to wait for Lyle. As I walked down the stairs the doorbell rang. With a deep breath, I opened the door.

          Lyle looked up into my eyes and I froze. He looked so handsome. He was wearing a nice pair of khaki pants with a blue plaid shirt. He used the perfect amount of cologne and I was mesmerized. “Wow…” was the first thing he said. “You look amazing, Brooke. Like, really beautiful.”

          I could feel myself blushing as I said thanks. “You look great too.” I stepped outside and closed the door behind me. My parents weren’t home, so there was no need to step inside for a meet and greet.

          We walked over to his car and he opened the door for me. I smiled at him as I slid into his slightly beat up Honda. Closing the door, he quickly made his way over to the driver’s side. As he started the car and pulled the car out of the driveway, I just studied his features.

          I hadn’t got a good look at him when he sat with me at lunch. He had a sharp bone structure that went perfectly with his short, messy, brown hair. As he was driving he glanced over at me with a nervous smile.

          “What are you looking at?” He knocked me out of my focus when he spoke. I could tell I was blushing when he caught me looking at him. “Oh, nothing. I was just getting a good look. I didn’t really get one at lunch the other day.” He nodded, feeling a little less self conscious.

          Looking out the window I watched an unfamiliar town pass by me. “So where are we headed?” I asked, still looking out the window. I glanced over at him and our eyes met for a split second before I turned away again.

          “I was thinking we could stop for some dinner first, then maybe a movie.” I nodded me head in agreement. “Sounds good to me.” A few minutes later we arrived at The Catch. Lyle handed the keys to a valet parker and we headed inside.

          As I sat and looked at the menu I was overwhelmed by all the choices. There were a good ten pages dedicated to seafood. Everything I read sounded amazing and I wanted it all. Finally settling on an exotic sounding octopus dish, I set my menu down, meeting Lyle’s eyes.

          He smiled at me, the most contagious smile I had ever seen. Letting a smile of my own creep up I asked, “How long have you been ready to order?” He let out a soft laugh before answering, never breaking eye contact.

          “I have been here many times and always get the same thing. I hope you like seafood, I probably should have checked first.” I could see nervousness flash across his eyes, not knowing how I would react. I gave him a reassuring smile. “Seafood is my absolute favorite thing in the world.”

          The nervousness washed away from his face, soon being replaced with a new found confidence. I never really understood why being able to tell people’s emotions came with my powers. It didn’t seem like a very brainy power. It didn’t really seem like it would fit with any of our powers actually.