'I got lost...inside the house.'

After several tries, I had finally managed to get back over the wall that I had previously climbed over to get the park.

Believe it or not, I was still raging about what had happened back there. And there was little naïve me, believing that not all boys were foul, sexist pigs. I’m surprised they weren’t making oink oink noises at the rate they were going.

 I knew it was probably inevitable that a few of them would be going to my new school, but I was still wishing on my lucky stars that Mr Ru- I mean Jake wouldn’t be going to my one. Actually, it was a shame really. Jake was one of my favourite names, so it was only unfortunate that it belonged to such a callous boy.

As you could see, I had already taking to hating this ‘Jake,’ and I’d only met him once! However hard I tried, it was hard to get him out of my head – especially now that his flawless six pack was permanently burned into my head. Realistically what I should be worrying about now was the telling off I was going to get when one of my parents saw me.

When I got inside the house, I realised that everyone else was still unpacking, which meant that I could escape. I smile self-satisfactorily and started making my way upstairs.

“Oh there you are Riley!” a way too chipper voice called out. I froze silently and slowly turned around.

Behind me, with a devilish grin on his face stood Trent. “Where’ve you been? Mom’s been looking all over for you!”

“Uh, nowhere! I got lost…inside the house.’ I improvised quickly. It was complete and utter bull, and Trent obviously noticed that.

“Yeah, cause that’s believable, sis. Hmm, I wonder what seems like a fair trade for my silence? Maybe…. your room?” Trent questioned, rubbing his fingers over his chin.

I tried to remain stoic and unnerved, but the sight of the vibrant, fluffy feather duster that I had spotted in Trent’s left hand was testing my strength.

“As if, Trent. They probably already know I’ve been out, so why would I give you something?” I said, scoffing as I walked out of the front door, leaving a cussing Trent behind.

I brace myself for the yelling as soon as I stepped outside to find Mom and Dad still hard at work unloading stuff.

Dad was the first to notice me.

“Oh hello, Riley – haven’t seen you in a bit! Where were you?” I resisted the urge to let out a sigh of relief as I recognised that they didn’t necessarily know that I had been out of the house.

“Oh, well actually I was putting things away in the house – Trent was bringing them to me.” I lied fluently. When I had time to think (unlike the previous encounter with Trent), I was actually quite a good liar.

“Okay, then but we need some help out here now! But don’t worry, we’re down to the last few boxes.”

Now that was something I could handle.

“I’m on it, Dad.”

***

About 15 minutes later, we had taken in the last of the boxes and bags, and the moving guys had taken off without as much as a ‘goodbye.’

“We’d better go back in now, and start unpacking the essentials.” Dad suggested.

Ugh, more unpacking. I deliberated the idea of just pretending to help by taking boxes, but only really taking the boxes that I needed for my room and then disappearing to ‘unpack.’ It actually sounded pretty good since it involved me doing minimum work. Ah, I love being lazy…