Chapter 9

We were silent for a while. Not sure what to say, and too shocked to do anything. My entire body felt numb and my eyes were wide open.

Like a tidal wave, we all began to speak at the same time.

"No way."

"This can't be real."

"I can't even..."

"How?"

"Oh my god." 

 "What?"

"...Cammie!?" Julian's voice rang above the crowd.

I gulped. "Mmmhh." My voice came out squeaky-er than I'd liked. 

Nobody answered. 

We stared at the paper.

The Advanced Riding Team will be riding  Tuesdays-Saturdays (students are encouraged to use Mondays for a practice ride) at 4pm unless stated otherwise. The Team will show off property at most twice a month every month of the school year. The team will consist of the following students and their scores:

Parker Moore.     Flat: 77      Eq: 76      O/F: 78      Overall: 231

Julian Casablanca:      Flat: 74       Eq: 80      O/F: 77      Overall: 231

Ivy Greyson:      Flat: 74      Eq: 75      O/F: 74      Overall: 223

Carter Williams:      Flat: 82      Eq: 85      O/F: 87      Overall: 254

Camille Grande:      Flat: 87      Eq: 90      O/F: 95      Overall: 272

What. I can't even. Just. What. I stood there in shock for a while. Two hundred and seventy two.

Higher than ever before. 

Slowly, I moved away from the paper. A grin spread across my lips and relief coursed through me. Wow, I thought again.

"Looks like we'll be riding together, now." An icy voice snapped me out of my trance. Ivy stood in front of me, her eyes colder than before and arms crossed over her chest. 

"I suppose." I said lightly, in a good mood. 

"You know you'll never make it." She sneered, shifting for one foot to another. She's nervous. I thought.

"And why is that?" Smoothing my new shirt, I looked straight into her cool brown eyes. I crossed my arms, and in the corner of my eye, noticed Parker and Julian in the same position. Oh shit. 

She chuckled, as if I was a young child. "Because you're vulnerable, and you're ignorant. You'll destroy your self without even realizing it." 

"What are you talking about?" I chocked. Her words getting to me. I noticed Julian look over at me, but I ignored him. 

"...I think you know." She said, then turned on her heel and walked away.

"Why can't we just forget about everything?" I called, dropping my crossed arms. 

She turned and looked at me, her eyes no longer cold. It took her a minute to reply. "I can't just forget about everything. And neither can  you." She looked at me a minute longer before walking away.

Julian jogged over to me. He wore a white long sleeve shirt from Ralph Lauren which accentuated his stunning green eyes. His dusting of freckles and curly, chocolate colored hair made him look even more adorable. I had to admit it. He belonged in an Abrecrombie catalog.