Chapter 3

I gave Meridium one last pat on the shoulder before sliding the stall doors shut. I gripped my riding information packet tighter to my chest. Not long ago had I arrived at Woodbridge Prep. I had been in awe the second I laid eyes on the campus. It was extraordinary! With deep reds and greys, and hunter greens and gorgeous old fashioned street lamps, the campus looked like a movie set. I was deep in thought when I got a tap on the shoulder.

I turned around to see a girl with long, black, wavy hair. She had brown eyes and really great eyebrows. She was wearing riding clothes consisting of a dark blue polo tucked into beige jodhpurs, black field boots and a black belt.

"Sorry to interrupt, but you're not Camille Grande, are you?" She asked. Her voice had a strong Irish accent and she shifted when she said the last part. I nodded, trying not to show a look of annoyance. I did not like fans.

"I'm Mave McConnery. It's nice to meet you. I'm a big fan." She said, surprisingly confident.

"Nice to meet you, Mave. What part of Ireland are you from?"

"Northern. I ride there to. Well, I mean I live there so ya I ride there. I have a horse, and I love him to bits. Want to see him?" Mave asked, and a huge smiled spread across her lips when she talked about riding. I grinned, and nodded. She lead me one ile over, and stopped in front of a big dapple grey.

"This is Four. I bought him in Ireland as a four year old last year. Hence the name Four. I got help training him with my old instructor. He's only five now. And  I wouldn't trade him for the world." Mave said, stroking the dapple greys blaze. Four looked like a warmblood cross, he had a dainty and intelligent head and a long neck. His mane kind of stuck up and his eyes were blue.

"He's gorgeous! Do you show at all?" I asked reaching my hand out to the horse.

"Ya! A lot. I do the hunters with him, because he has such a long stride and has a lot of scope in his jump. But, eventing's my favourite."

"I understand completely. When I got Mer, I was doing the hunters and he was absolutely horrible at it. So I switched over to jumper. But, I'm happy, because I like it better." I said laughing. She laughed to.

"What dorm are you in?" She asked, nodding in the other direction so we could leave the barn.

"Um...I don't know yet. I need to go ask my parents." I said waving goodbye. She waved back and  I headed for the path that lead back to the car.

"Mom!' I called when I saw a familiar figure go by. She turned around and smiled when she saw me.

"Cammie! Where have you been? Your father and I have been looking all over for you." She pulled out another big folder about the same size as the last. "This is your campus information. You need to read it by tomorrow, before breakfast because the start of school assembly will be before breakfast. It has everything. For example what dorm you are staying in-and that's Queens." She handed me the booklet and began talking again. "Your dorm is on the edge of campus, looking over a pretty lake and a forest. Your room is number 306 and your roommate is named Ivy Greyson. She's a rider also and comes from New York-ooh! And In 30 minutes you need to go to Ms. Duke's office to go over your schedule for term one. Your dad and I have put your bags in your room. Is there anything else I need to go over?" My mom finished. I shook my head.

"I put all of Mer's things away in the tack room, and he's in his stall. Can you show me where my dorm is?" I asked taking the second booklet into my arms, and tightening my grip on the first.

My mom nodded, "Ya, sure."

My dorm ended up being quite a walk away from the A barn. Mom and I passed a cute sweet shop that was decked out in pink and blue paint, a coffee shop called 'The coffee house' and many other little shops scattered throughout the campus.

My dorm, Queens, ended up looking more like a castle than one of the eleventh grade girls dormitories. It consisted of mainly stone and dark chestnut woods. The building had a lot of windows and a long grass front yard. My mom opened the door for me, and I stepped inside. The inside of the building was nothing like the outside. It was very modern, with high ceilings and open windows.

The first thing I saw when I stepped in, was the huge open space, it looked like a ballroom, and had gold threaded into the ceiling. Then, a huge staircase that led up to the common room. It was open and had huge windows, a kitchen and no door. On the right and left of the room was a balcony and rooms were sprawled across. I gaped at the largeness of it all.

Mom led me up the stairs, and we went left after the staircase. We walked past the common area and I notice two doors. One on the right and one on the left. I guess they both led to another row of rooms. Mom and I stopped in front a big door with a blank white board on it.

"Here we are. Room number 306." She gave me the key and I unlocked to door and pushed it open.

"Wow." I breathed. The first thing I noticed was a big wall which was painted a dark cranberry red, and and had a big floor-to-ceiling window. And the curtains were an off white. In front of the wall were two beds with there bottoms facing each other, the one on the right was already taken up and had eggshell white bed sheets, and a blueberry colored pillow. I glanced at my bed. The bed sheets were also white, and I had big fluffy pillows at the head of the bed. I bit my lip and stepped farther into the room.

My bed had a short and skinny wall behind it the same color of red as the bigger wall. I also had an empty bookcase surrounding the bed. I smiled,as I thought of all my books.

Both beds had a bedside tabled, and a black trunk at the tail. To the left and behind my bed, were more huge windows  and two desks. One was facing the windows and the other faced the wall. I noticed my roomie had already chosen the one near the windows. I walked over and set my bag down onto my dark grey desk. The desk sat beside my built-in closet.

The closets were weird. And I mean really weird. Honestly, I've seen a lot of weird things-these were number one. They were both a light chestnut, and L shaped. They molded into the corners of the room. CLOSETS DON'T MOLD. It's just a thing. They just don't.

I could go into extreme detail of what the rest of the room looked like, but all that's left is a couch, the bathroom and a T.V.

"Honey, your father and I have to leave now if we want to catch our flight. But, we're going to miss you and you need to call us everyday and update us on the happenings in your life." My mom said embracing me in a hug.

I waved goodbye to Mom, as she stepped outside my room. I sighed and looked around me. I sat down and opened my riding booklet, and started to read.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I slipped back into my dorm, and shut the door to my room. I walked over to my dark grey desk and pinned my biggest schedule onto my cork board. I had just finished going over my schedule with Ms. Duke.

She had been terrifying. The woman stared me down the moment I walked into the office. She was incredibly tall and large. She spoke in a menacing growl, and scowled every time I opened my mouth. Ms. Duke was not someone I wanted to meet again.

I went over and opened one of my boxes that was labeled "Bed" I suppose it also held my bed sheets before Dad took them out. I reached into the box and pulled out white Christmas lights. I entangled the lights with the bed frame and plugged the lights in. They set off an eery glow and I squealed with excitement.

I kept opening boxes and slowly but surely filled the room. The book case wasn't big enough so I piled them up on my desk, my trunk and my all over the floor. I put up pictures of Meridium and I and filled the drawers under the T.V with my favorite movies. Everything was out except for one box. I opened it and gasped when I saw what was inside. Tears cradled my eyes and hundreds of flashbacks assaulted my mind. I had asked Mom not to pack the picture. It brought back to many memories I couldn't handle right now.

I pulled the picture out from the box, my lip quivering slightly and my hands shaky. I stared down at him. Him and his dark black hair.Him and his chocolate brown eyes with a golden glow when they hit the sun. Him and his easy personality. Him and his recklessness. Him... I couldn't handle it anymore. I couldn't handle him. Him and our memories. Tears poured, my mind went blank, and my body went numb.