Chapter 1 / Prologue

The big bay fought for control and pushed into a faster canter. I sat deep in the saddle and half halted. Fighting for control, he threw his head wildly up by my face. His martingale stopped it from coming any higher. I sat deeper until he finally slowed. Pointing him to the last combination of the course, I felt the bay rock back on his hind and galloped faster. Three jumps in a row, one stride in between each one. I half halted again, and then one stride away, l gave him his head. I felt the speed increase and his ears prick forward.

The fiery warmblood rocked back onto his hind quarters and then propelled himself over the tall vertical. We landed and his attention was already on the second oxer. He launched himself over the huge oxer. Before landing I could tell his stride was to big. The moment his front feet hit the ground, I sat deep and asked for a slower canter, he slowed and we flew over the last oxer neatly. I heard the crowd cheer and I looked up at the stands. They were on there feet clapping.

I smiled, and looked up at my time. 79.3. That means I'm in first place. I gave Meridium a huge pat. "Good boy." I murmured as I posted to his floaty trot. He shook his head in pleasure.

As I walked him down to the warm up ring to cool out, I heard trainers, buyers, riders and journalists all talking and whispering to each other and discreetly looking up at me. It's not unusual for people to talk about me at shows. Actually, it's completely normal. I just look like I don't care and ignore them. But, lately it's been getting on my nerves.

I've had people say a lot of bad things about me. Like magazine articles might trash talk my riding, other riders might think I'm a snob. It was never so bad, like my barn friends who get it all the time. At my farm: Williams Show and Training Barn, I only rode with only the best. People like Tracy Goldrush, a three time Olympian and known world round. Not to mention the one and only Jamie Miller, two time Olympian, won hundreds of hunter and equitation shows world round. He does several clinics for rising star riders. Jamie Miller also wrote a horse book with hundreds of tips and clinics. It would have been named The Bible, but that was already taken. What I mean is that people like him get A LOT of trash talk, and if he can survive it, so can I.

I gave Meridium a loose rein and tried not to groan when two middle aged men walked up to me. They looked like the stereotypical journalist; just waiting for a juicy story. They were carrying clip-boards and wore a look of superiority. One of them on the left had short, thick, white hair and piercing blue eyes. He wore khakis, like the ones you'd wear with a suit to a work convention, and an ironed white shirt. He casually held his navy jacket on his arm and a clip-board in the other. 

The other, on the right had dark brown hair with flecks of grey, and his light toned eyes were full of life. His posture was the first thing I noticed. He stood confidently in his lean frame, as though he was the closest thing to batman you'll ever see. He wore the same style of pants the other man wore, and a light blue polo with a tiny crest on the left pocket. I stopped before them, and the first person began to speak.

"Hello, my name is William Johnston. I noticed your round earlier. Quite a fine piece of horse and rider." His voice was dressed in a fine British accent, and his striking green eyes on my skin was like having a huge spotlight on me: everyone's eyes settled on me.

"Thank you, but neither my horse or I want an interview." I said letting tiredness seep out with the words. I squeezed Meridium to move around them. The man surprised me with a soft chuckle.

"Ms. Grande neither I or my associate are journalists, and we have no intention whatsoever of interviewing you...or your horse." He added with a chuckle.

"The funny thing is, that's what they all say." I murmured as I reluctantly faced them.

"Like, I said before I'm William Jhonston. This is my associate Marcus Harrison. We and several others run one of the finest schools across the globe...Woodbridge Preparatory." My eyes shot up in surprise.

"Woodbridge?" I whispered to myself, somewhat out of breath. "Are you serious?" I asked the two men in front of me, louder this time. 

"Quite serious. Mr. Harrison here is the head coach of the equestrian program. He and I are quite confident that you pass our standards at our school, and that you would thrive if you attend." Mr, Jhonston smiled confidently. 

"This invitation is incredibly hard to achieve and hundreds-" thousands, maybe millions. "-only dream to attend...because Ms.Grande, only the best get in."

"I'm aware." I said matching his tone. 

Mr. Jhonston just barely raised an eyebrow, and I could see his thin stretch of a mouth curve upwards just a bit.

"See you then." He nodded goodbye, and left me feeling stunned.

Woodbridge, here I come.