Chapter XIX

I paused. No way. I work for BLI?

Just keep cool, Boy. Just keep cool.

"S-sorry ma'am," I replied, putting on a bad poker-face. "I just got caught up, I guess."

She nodded. "I understand. I just thought you'd want your payment first thing. That's normally what you ask for. That is one of your requirements after all."

Requirements?

"Ah yes, my..." I thought for a minute, then guessed. "Three requirements. I remember them so clearly."

"No, it's four," she corrected. "Remember? One: Don't tell any enemy you're after someone on their side. Two: You can't go after anyone of huge importance, like me or the Fab Four. Three: You will receive payment of two hundred carbons and a packet of weapon batteries as soon as possible. Four: It will all be done in secret. You remember them, don't you? You made them after all. And you always tell me every time. It's what you tell your Killjoy associates too, right?"

So I don't work for BLI? I'm a rogue?

What am I? I'll try to pry out more information.

"Oh yeah, and my job too," I said. "I'm one hell of a janitor, right?"

She laughed. "Oh come on, you know you're not a janitor!"

Well, I'm trying to get you to tell me what I do!

I can't work for BLI, I know that! Right?

"So, do you have my payment?" I asked, trying to play it cool, like a James Bond thing. "You've got to adhere to my third requirement. You know my rules."

"Right, right. Let me get it for you." She went behind her desk and opened a drawer. "Just one minute...now." In her hand was a pistol. "You know I'd never let you into my office! And I'd think you'd remember your own requirements! Who are you really? A Killjoy spy? An assassin?"

I held up my hands in surrender, fear working its way up my throat. "I-I don't know who I am. If I am Christoph, then I must be Christoph Waker."

She gave out a laugh that had no warmth in it whatsoever. "So you, the notorious Christoph Waker, warrior of all people, rouge murderer-for-hire, doesn't remember who he is?"

I sighed. "No I don't."

She laughed again. "Oh, this is too rich! The world's biggest hope and enemy seriously doesn't remember who he is? That is hilarious! Korse, come in here!"

A guy wearing a suit jacket with weird puffy sleeves walked in. "Yes Madam Director?"

"Take him to his little blind friend in the prisons," she ordered. "Let's let him air out a little bit in a cell."

Wow, I haven't made an A/N in a long time.

I'm afraid to say it, but this book is sadly coming to an end real soon. We're down to the last few chapters. I'll try to make them a bit longer than normal, I promise!  

Be sure to read my book "Transmissions From The Zones" if you haven't! It's pretty much another take on this story with a little bit of its own. Plus, you learn a bit more about Civil and Wayward, who are in charge of it. It's quite funny, really. I'd recommend it.