Chapter V

Wayward ordered me to stay outside while he announced my arrival.

He pulled off the planks and made a crappy little trumpet fanfare noise.

"Gentlemen of the Amazing Three, I demand your attention!"

"Come on, Wayward, you do that already!" Civil joked.

"Shut the fuck up, will ya? I'm trying to make an announcement!" He cleared his throat again. "He's got a gun straight out of World War I. He's got no clue who he is. He's the new, the improved Lost Boy!"

I walked in and gave an awkward wave to the group. "H-hi."

Way to make an entrance, dumbass.

"Well, look at you!"

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Atom!"

"Oh, shut up!"

I couldn't help but laugh at those two. At least I'd gotten stuck with them and not some morons who wanted to murder me.

But you still got stuck with morons.

"You know, I've been wanting to see how good you are with that gun of yours," Atom pointed out with a gulp of whatever he had in his glass. "How about a little shooting practice, huh? Me and you?"

"Throw me into the mix , and it'll be a contest," Wayward challenged. "I've got some empty bottles we can practice on, and I bet you five carbons that I'll hit more than you!"

"I've got ten carbons on the new guy!" Civil said.

"Why aren't you betting on me?" Wayward pouted.

"Because I like the new guy more than you!" Civil snapped. "Alright, fine. Ten carbons on you, fifteen carbons on the new guy."

"Fifteen!" He flipped Civil a middle finger. "Alright, I'll get the bottles out. We'll see who's the best shooter here!"

A little bit of setting up later, there were ten bottles set up got the three of us.

"Ten shots. Ten bottles. See how many you can knock down with only ten shots. Got it? Good."

I had no idea how my gun worked. I could hold it right, and I knew where the trigger was, but there was no mag for any form of ammunition or anything. The other guys' guns didn't do have mags either, or even a way to cock it.

"Ready?"

Lord no!

"Go!"

I held my breath, and for a split second, my body moved in autopilot. I pulled the trigger, hitting each bottle right in the middle of the neck one by one with a big whoom!. The gun hummed in my hands almost electronically.

"You're shitting me," Atom snapped. "You're telling me we're going after a guy with a sound rifle?"

"Are you from the Helium Wars or something, Boy?" Civil asked. "There's no way you could've gotten one without being in them."

"Helium Wars?" That sounded like something out of science fiction, not real life. "I-I don't know."

"Let me see it," Civil said, grabbing the gun out of my hand. He ran his fingers over it, inspecting it with his hands. "Weird. Very weird."

"What?" Wayward gun up close to it, looking around it. "What is it?"

Civil smiled and knocked the butt of the gun on Wayward's surprised face. "Gotcha!"

"Why'd you do that?" Wayward asked, rubbing his bruised forehead.

"Because you lost," Civil said, slapping him upside the head. "Dumbass. "