Chapter XVIII

I put pressure into my feet and pushed myself to a stop.

"What do you-" Another cop stepped forward, pushing his gun to my temple. My cop shook his head, doing the theatrical "cut" sign with his hand, and the other cop backed up.

"What is it?" my cop asked.

"I want you to tell me exactly why whenever I tell that I'm a transguy, people start flipping their shit," I ordered sternly. "You will tell me whether you like it or not."

"Look, kid, I-" my cop sighed. "I don't know why you don't know anything. But you will know in time. I'll promise you that."

"No!" I roared. "I will kn-"

A sharp pain in the side of my face. "I don't care who the hell you are, but I'm telling you to shut the hell up."

"I'm telling you, that is not the way to be talking to a guy like that," came a familiar voice to my right.

I froze. No...it can't be!

I turned around and there he was, jacket, sunglasses, and all.

"C-Civil?" I stuttered out.

He smiled and held up a hand. "Hiya, Boy. It's been a long time, hasn't it?"

He was so calm, like it had only been a couple days since we'd last seen each other.

All I could do was attempt to respond, and I still managed to fail at that.

"I-ah-me-uh-hi?"

Civil laughed. "Nice conversational skills. That's probably what got you caught, anyway."

I rolled my eyes. Oh yes. That's the normal Civil, isn't it?

"Oh yeah? What got you caught, then?"

His smile melted into a cocky frown, then went back. "Yep. I knew it. You're still an asshole."

I chuckled. "At least I'm still less of an asshole than y-"

The gun slammed against my head again. "What did I say? Shut the hell up!"

I scowled and shut my mouth. Dammit. This place is fucking ridiculous.

My cop had his pistol against my back. "Let's go. Madam Director is waiting, and she's not a patient one. "

I rolled my eyes. I really wanted to snap back, but I didn't want to get hit again.

The building was a lot bigger on the inside. There were posters hanging on the walls with a bunch of people, who I was guessing were Killjoys, everywhere, saying "Exterminate!" Not "Wanted," "Exterminate!"

I knew from the minute I walked in, I was on camera. Someone was watching me from the very start.

After about ten flights of stairs, five times of getting slapped with a gun, and several billion threats, we made it to this huge surveillance room all the way at the top. There was people everywhere, just doing something. Glued to the screens, cleaning weapons, holding me hostage, it was like a melting pot of careers.

Then she stepped forward. She was a pretty Asian woman, but when you looked into her eyes, you could tell she wasn't pretty on the inside. There was something malicious in her smile, like a villain in a cartoon. The way she looked at me was like an old friend, no, more like a partner in crime.

"Hello, Christoph Waker. It's been a long time."

Even her voice sounded like honey laced with poison.

She put her hand up to her mouth in surprise. "Oh my! This is not the kind of treatment you give a man like he is! Let him go this instant!"

The cop released me instantly. "Sorry, boss."

"Please Mr. Waker," she said, putting a hand on my shoulder. She put a weird emphasis on the word Mister, which I didn't know why. "Allow me to take you to my office. I believe you know the way?"

I looked her straight in the eyes. "I don't. If you could, that would be great."

She nodded. "Yes, of course."

She took her hand off of me, and I honestly expected it to burn me as she did. I expected her to pull out a gun and shoot me on the spot, but no. She just walked me along, the same smile on her face.

We eventually made it into her office, which was about as big as the surveillance room and a lot more scary.

"So, Christoph, how've you been?" she asked me, leaning with one hand on her desk.

"Uh...good?" I replied, mentally screaming like a little kid. My eyes hadn't let go of hers for a minute.

"That's good," she said, brushing her shiny black hair out of her face. "So, why was it that after I give you a job, you disappear for a week and come back with a new look?"