Chapter 44: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

They say ignorance is bliss.

I was slowly and painfully coming to the realization that that was indeed truth. Unfortunately, as I Violet led me through the fake foliage and dim lights of the restaurant, with everyone else right behind me, I couldn’t help but take the time I had to ponder over whether or not Parker’s plan would work. Parker had sort of created a certain natural balance so that every crazy, irrational plan worked without a problem. Now, we had come to the opposing force. What would happen when it was just a rational plan? Would it work? Would my parents be suspicious? I cursed under my breath and wished that I had considered this all before my impending doom.

“Right this way, Sam and her friends!” Violet said, turning in one more direction before I could finally see my parents. They sat at a large, round table, large enough to fit all of us and many more. As I inspected it, it could fit many more. At least three or four. Why would they reserve seats for that many?

“Samantha!” My mom cried immediately, springing to her feet. I looked to my mother to see her two blue eyes, identical to mine, staring at me, glinting and shining with joy and excitement. My father sat next to her and beamed upon seeing me and leapt up as well.

I didn’t know what it was, but something overcame me. Perhaps it was the little girl inside of me that had been missing her mommy and daddy, but in moments, I had felt myself dash all the way across the room and I had dove straight into my mom and dad’s arms, embracing them and never wanting to let go. I could feel my mom’s loving hand stroking my hair and my dad laughing his low, carefree chortle that I remembered so well.

“Samantha, I can’t believe it! You look so beautiful! Your hair has grown out so well! Oh my goodness, you look so grown up!” My mom ranted, cupping my face in her palms, “I just can hardly believe it!” She cried, and I could see tears of joy welling in her dark orbs.

“It’s great to see you too, mom,” I said, smiling ear to ear. I looked at my dad lovingly, his warm, chocolate eyes so welcoming and happy, just as I remembered them. “It’s amazing to see you too, dad.”

My dad smiled happily and tussled my hair, “The feeling is mutual, bud.” He said eagerly, embracing my in a quick, but meaningful, hug.

“Well, aren’t you going to introduce us to your…” My mom looked up from her hug and to everybody else, obviously confused as to why they were all boys, “…friends?”

I felt my face bloom a bright red, hoping that some sort of explanation would show itself on a silver platter. Just when I opened my mouth, a miracle happened.

“Hey guys! I hope we’re not late!”

At the hearing of such a familiar voice, I turned around to see none other than Katie, followed by Jamie, and my least favorite of all, Lucy. Their marvelous beauty almost blinded me as they strutted confidently into the room, each of them decked out in a more extravagant dress than the last.

Jamie, dressed in a sparkling blue dress, approached us, a grin ear to ear on her face. As if we’d known each other for years, she walked over to me happily and strung an arm through my arm, “Hey, Sammy!” She greeted me lovingly, “I’m really sorry that we’re late! I hope we didn’t miss anything.”